Smith, a key part of the Ravens defense, was injured in the second quarter of Sunday's game when he crumpled to the turf while trying to cover a deep pass.
Smith, 29, chose to drop his appeal and begin serving his suspension immediately after being injured in the 44-20 victory over the Detroit Lions.More news: Quake detected near North Korea nuclear site
Smith, and the team likely, as well, were already aware of the pending suspension, as Gilbert and the Steelers were before it was announced, but it came out at that time because the cornerback chose to drop his appeal. He's appeared in all 16 regular season games only twice; previous year, he was placed on injured reserve after suffering a high-ankle sprain in Week 14.
The Ravens are expected to place Smith on injured reserve this week.More news: New England Patriots take on the Buffalo Bills
Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in Baltimore's 44-20 win over the Detroit Lions on Sunday.
"He has played at an All-Pro level this year", Ravens coach John Harbaugh told reporters. Smith will miss a total of 17 games over the past four seasons. "He's a guy we've always had a lot of hope for. he's a very instinctive player, I see him playing a lot in the upcoming games". "Our offense needed to step up and they did, and I'm really proud of them for that". The first round pick out of Alabama has played really well all season, but we got a glimpse of what could be after Smith went down. None of those teams now have winning records.More news: Amazon Australia is live, Prime to launch in mid
They are one of seven teams allowing fewer than 60 percent of their targets to be completed, and their quarterback rating allowed of 68.2 is second only to the Jaguars who have a lead, even a commanding lead, in most statistical passing categories.
- Cinnabon honors National Cookie Day with "Cookie BonBites"
- UP: Opposition demands elections in future be held through ballot papers
- Texas A&M officially introduces Jimbo Fisher as new head coach
- Time announces Person of the Year finalists
- NASA fires up Voyager 1 backup thrusters after 37 years
- Phase 1 of Shahid Beheshti Port Development Plan in Chabahar inaugurated
- American Airlines Resolves Problem That Could Have Canceled Thousands of Flights
- Starbucks to Go "Venti" in China
- Russians can compete at Olympics, but without flag — IOC
- Net neutrality protests, coming to a Verizon store near you this Thursday