This will largely be of interest to merchants who sell on Amazon.com, as Prime Singapore offers free 2-hour delivery on tens of thousands of items but more importantly free worldwide delivery on millions more items from Amazon US.
Singapore will be the first country in Southeast Asia, and 16th globally, to launch Amazon Prime. For that amount, members get to enjoy Prime Video, a membership with video game streaming platform Twitch, and unlimited free worldwide shipping on orders above S$60 on the Prime Now mobile app.
The members can also enjoy the streaming service Amazon Prime Video and gaming subscription service Twitch Prime.More news: 2 militants killed, soldier, civilian injured in Qazigund
However, as an introductory offer, Amazon only charge S$2.99, though Amazon decline to inform of how long the promotion will last.
"Now with an even wider selection of worldwide items available for unlimited free global shipping, along with unlimited access to Prime Video and Twitch Prime, this membership is created to offer the best of Amazon".
Speaking to The Straits Times, Mr Ghani acknowledged that some living in the country already have Amazon Prime memberships for the United States site.
Speaking to The Straits Times, Amazon Prime International's vice president Jamil Ghani noted that the Prime membership is country-specific and not transferable at all - those who already have US Prime memberships can not convert them to local ones, and vice versa.More news: Head To Mercury In The Destiny 2
The Prime launch, a first in Southeast Asia, will see Amazon expanding its reach in the region even as Chinese rival Alibaba already sells merchandise from its online Taobao stores through a regional e-commerce subsidiary, Lazada.
Under the previous ordinance, AmazonGlobal program, every Singaporeans could enjoy free shipping for buying qualifying goods worth at least USD$125.
Events coordinator Mabel Tan, 26, said that Prime does not have a strong enough draw for her at the moment, but if it adds "more products and services, I will consider the membership".
Other consumers are looking for more services to be added to Prime.More news: Starbucks to Go "Venti" in China
- Phase 1 of Shahid Beheshti Port Development Plan in Chabahar inaugurated
- Russians can compete at Olympics, but without flag — IOC
- UP: Opposition demands elections in future be held through ballot papers
- Heinrich Releases Video Promoting Computer Science Education Week, STEM Education
- American Airlines Resolves Problem That Could Have Canceled Thousands of Flights
- Facebook Launched 'Messenger Kids' Standalone App for Children Under 13
- Jimmy Smith receives 4-game suspension
- Director Bryan Singer Responds to Being Fired From Queen Biopic
- Meghan Markle's the star on royal debut
- Quake detected near North Korea nuclear site