The storm moved through the South to the Gulf Coast and the panhandle of Florida.
As much as 2 to 3 inches is possible in parts of Lancaster and York counties, where a Winter Weather Advisory is in effect.
The first significant snowstorm of the season will blanket most of New Jersey on Saturday.More news: Steelers' Brown cites 'karma' following win vs. Bengals
Through the night, skies will clear and temperatures will drop into early Sunday morning.
In Georgia, eastern Alabama, and the southern Appalachians, snow is still falling.
Area roads, even the Schuylkill Expressway, were coated with veneers of snow and ice at midafternoon, but no major problems were reported.
The snow may briefly mix with rain or sleet across the eastern tip of the North Fork this evening; mixing with rain or sleet on the South Fork is likely this afternoon.More news: Patrick Stewart Would Return to Star Trek if Tarantino Asks
Winter storm warnings are in effect from Virginia to MA, according to the National Weather Service -- excluding Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City for now, which are under a winter weather advisory instead.
Up to 5 inches of snow could fall there today, the weather service said.
Light to moderate snow during this evening is forecast to taper off to light snow by 10:00 PM.More news: Senate Confirms Trump's Pick for Homeland Security Secretary
- 2017-18 Flu Season Is Looking Like a Bad One
- Airlines Are Rerouting Flights to Avoid North Korean Missiles
- The latest link between hormonal contraceptives and breast cancer
- A New Tomb Raider Game To Be Revealed in 2018
- John Travolta says rumours about Gotti biopic are ''fake news''
- Voting for 1st phase of Gujarat elections today
- Steam will no longer support bitcoin due to "high fees and volatility"
- Black Mirror announces premiere date and trailer twist for fans
- China alleges Indian drone invaded its airspace, crashed across the border
- Australia legalizes marriage equality in historic vote