There was a belief that Sunday's Steelers-Patriots game could go a long way toward determining the victor of the award, given it involved two of the leading candidates in Brown and Brady.
After an initial examination, Brown was taken to the locker room.More news: LaLiga: Simeone gives condition for Griezmann's exit from Atletico Madrid
Starting at their own 23-yard line with just over two minutes left, Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski carried the team down the field and Dion Lewis capped it off with an eight-yard touchdown run. The Steelers then ruled Brown out before the start of the third quarter. Given that the Steelers initially said he was questionable to return to today's game, this could prove more serious than was first hoped when it was announced he had a calf injury.
It also was Williams' first career interception, one that couldn't have come at a better time for the Steelers.
Bryant, suspended all of last season for violating the league's substance abuse policy, made a pretty one-handed touchdown catch late in the first half that put Pittsburgh up 17-10 at the break.More news: Russell Westbrook's triple-double helps Oklahoma City Thunder beat Philadelphia 76ers
So Gronkowski is back, and so are the Patriots atop the AFC. A successful conversion gave the Pats a 27-24 lead with just:56 seconds remaining, and the Steelers got the ball back with just one timeout remaining.
In no way does the loss fall upon the shoulders of either of these two plays alone, but the failure by Sean Davis to secure a late interception and tight end Jesse James, failure to maintain possession through contact with the ground on a touchdown that was overturned obviously helped set the table for how the game ended.
It looked like the Steelers were going to steal a victory, as JuJu Smith-Schuster beat Eric Rowe and several missed tackles for 69 yards on their first play of the next drive. Roethlisberger faked a spike before trying to force a throw to Eli Rogers, and the ball was tipped and intercepted by Duron Harmon. Potentially losing home-field advantage throughout the playoffs hurts.More news: 1 killed as natural disaster of magnitude 6.5 strikes Indonesia; tsunami warning issued
- Health officials: Flu rampant in NY
- Verdict Day: All eyes on Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh today
- Donald Trump holds phone call with Vladimir Putin over North Korea crisis
- Simmons says he will 'defend' himself following rape claims
- Omarosa Manigault Newman 'physically dragged' from White House, reports say
- McGregor Reacts To Pacquaio Boxing Match Speculation
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wedding to clash with FA Cup final
- Kristaps Porzingis Day To Day With Sore Knee
- Ryan Reynolds Trolls Disney With This Cheeky Deadpool Photo
- Oil prices hold steady on competitive data, North Sea outage