Major League Soccer is expected to announce its plan to grant Nashville an expansion franchise on Wednesday.
BREAKING: The MLS Commissioner will be in Nashville tomorrow for a big announcement!
Although Nashville has no soccer history, it has drawn large crowds for global matches it has hosted, and the city's cultural demographics have led MLS to see it as a pro sports market after the NHL's Predators began playing there.More news: CME's Bitcoin Futures Debut Wins With Trading Value
That is perhaps why MLS has left it down to one from those two bids for the final spot.
Meanwhile, several semi-pro teams call the region home, including Detroit City FC who play home games at Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck.
FC Cincinnati is still not out of the race to become the next Major League Soccer team.More news: Fans Mourn Death of K-Pop Star Jonghyun
Businessman Dan Gilbert, Pistons Vice Chairman Arn Tellem, Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, top Gilbert aide Matt Cullen, Detroit Lions President Rod Wood, and Matt Rossetti, president of Detroit-based architects Rossetti Inc. spearheaded Detroit's pitch to bring an MLS team to Ford Field.
Falling into the consolation bracket, though, won't sooth the disappointment of Cincinnati or Sacramento fans if their city loses out.
And with Nashville approving a public-private deal for a $275 million stadium last month, it seems that Detroit's fate was sealed.More news: Parts of Texas May Have a White Christmas This Year
It's anticipated to be a formal MLS expansion team announcement for Nashville. However, MLS has made it clear the league prefers soccer-specific stadiums, something the city of Detroit does not have.
- The Pentagon has confirmed its $22M program to investigate UFOs
- Sean "Diddy" Combs expresses interest in Panthers, signing Kaepernick
- NBC Wants to Revive The Office for 2018
- Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers reacts to humiliating Hearts defeat
- Hollywood Would Get Big Windfall Annually From Tax Bill
- Enrique Iglesias And Girlfriend, Anna Kournikova Welcome Twins
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Getting 3D Replay and Killcam in Version 1.0
- Google's Chrome Will Start Removing "Failing" Ads In February
- How someone stole a family's Christmas Grinch
- Jason Priestley Says He Punched Harvey Weinstein In The Face In 1995