This year there will be live streaming of the sunrise at the world heritage listed site from 8.30-9.15am (Irish time obviously) on December 20th and 21st, here or on YouTube - from your home, office, laptop, tablet or phone!
The winter solstice is when the Northern Hemisphere is tilted the farthest from the sun, making for the year's longest night. Basically, the farther above the equator a country is located, the colder will be its temperature over winter solstice.More news: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Getting 3D Replay and Killcam in Version 1.0
Starting Friday, the sun spends a few more seconds above the horizon each day.
Likely older than Stonehenge, the opening of this enclosed, mound-like structure is designed so that as the sun dawns on the morning of the winter solstice, light shoots down a tiny, cramped passage at a ideal angle to light an interior chamber.
During the period, northern parts of the US are to experience zero to six hours of sunlight daily, while states that lie south will have nine to 10.5 hours. The summer solstice is when the sun's rays are directly over the Tropic of Cancer.More news: Sean "Diddy" Combs expresses interest in Panthers, signing Kaepernick
If the Sun is shining on December 21 at noon, your shadow will be the longest all year. During the other half of the year, between September and March, the south pole is pointing toward the sun, with the solstice marking the midway point of this journey.
Most years, it falls on the 21st in the United Kingdom, but sometimes it lands a little bit off-kilter, because it takes the Earth 365 and a quarter days to go around the sun. One day after the solstice, the day will be one minute longer, and it will keep growing.
For the same reason, solstices and equinoxes are not always on the same day every year.More news: Mother And Three Children Killed In Early Morning Fire In Sheepshead Bay
- Cyril Ramaphosa wins ANC presidential race
- Battle of battery cars: China NIO's SUV versus Tesla's Model X
- Trudeau says cannabis will become legal 'next summer,' not July 1
- Six dead, scores injured in Amtrak horror crash
- Atlanta airport power outage impacting Savannah flights
- NBC Wants to Revive The Office for 2018
- You Can Manage Your Identity on Facebook Using Face Recognition
- Parts of Texas May Have a White Christmas This Year
- The WWE Just Announced An Historic All-Women Royal Rumble Match
- North Korea reportedly testing anthrax-loaded ICBMs