The selected brooch depicts a "blackamoor", a golliwog-like slave character popularized during the 1800s and turned into jewelry for white aristocracy.
It's unclear whether the princess wore the brooch to intentionally make an offensive statement, or whether it was a clueless decision wear the tone-deaf accessory.More news: Nashville expected to be named MLS expansion franchise
According to The Cut, Princess Michael - the wife of the Queen's cousin - wore a racist brooch to the lunch. However moving forward she will discontinue wearing the brooch. This means participating in a lot of ceremonial engagements, such as the Queen's annual Christmas lunch, which Markle recently attended with Harry.
Markle is no stranger to racist responses to her presence in the royal family. When her choice of accessory hit the headlines, especially since Meghan is half Black, she issued an apology saying she's "very sorry and distressed that it has caused offence" and the brooch was a gift she's worn many times without controversy. It was the first year Meghan Markle, newly engaged to Prince Harry, attended - and the first time she was formally introduced to many royal family members.
Soon she will be forced to share Kensington Palace grounds-a small territory of the universe which the royals colonized and froze space-time somewhere between 1700 and 1950-with Prince Harry's fiancée of-gasp-the British colony of America. I traveled on African buses.More news: North Korea reportedly testing anthrax-loaded ICBMs
Meghan is famously proud of her biracial background, revealing to Elle that her Caucasian father Thomas Markle and African American mum Doria Radlan encouraged her to "say who I am, to share where I'm from, to voice my pride in being a strong, confident mixed-race woman".
In 2004, she reportedly told a table of black diners at a NY restaurant to "go back to the colonies". I wanted experiences from Cape Town to right up in northern Mozambique. "We've just focused on who we are as a couple".More news: Royal Family roundup: A holiday card is here and Pop!s are coming
- Jurgen Klopp praises Liverpool's defensive improvement
- Bristol City dump holders Man Utd out of League Cup
- Sean "Diddy" Combs expresses interest in Panthers, signing Kaepernick
- Parts of Texas May Have a White Christmas This Year
- Hollywood Would Get Big Windfall Annually From Tax Bill
- Neil Gorsuch Is in the Neil Gorsuch Business
- Facebook challenges music streaming giants with Universal Music deal
- Mother And Three Children Killed In Early Morning Fire In Sheepshead Bay
- Elon Musk's Roadster Is All Prepped-Up for Its Mars Voyage
- The Pentagon has confirmed its $22M program to investigate UFOs