This also means the first day of winter has arrived, but if you're not a winter lover, then the countdown to spring has also begun. Eastern Time on December 21. Likely older than Stonehenge, the opening of this enclosed, mound-like structure is designed so that as the sun dawns on the morning of the winter solstice, light shoots down a tiny, cramped passage at a ideal angle to light an interior chamber. While it's winter for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, people in the Southern Hemisphere experience it as their summer solstice with the longest stretch of daylight.
Add your 2018 Summer Sailstice sailing plans to the "Events" page before midnight December 31st, 2017 and be in the running to win a headlamp from Mantus Anchors!More news: When Does Winter Start? The Shortest Day of the Year Is Approaching
The number of hours of sunlight you'll get depends on how far from the equator you are. Tampa will see 10 hours, 22 minutes and 17 seconds of daylight Thursday, which is two seconds shorter than Wednesday. Boston's sunlight period ends a bit earlier, at 4:15 p.m., with nine hours and four minutes of daylight.
If you live in the southernmost USA, your earliest sunsets are in late November, according to EarthSky.org. And if you happen to live north of the Arctic Circle, you'll get none. However, it's never the day of the latest sunrise or earliest sunset. This is because the earth is traveling its orbit around the sun on a tilted axis. It's an old proverb that certainly has some scientific truth.More news: Royal Family roundup: A holiday card is here and Pop!s are coming
"The winter solstice occurs at the moment the Earth's tilt away from the sun is at a maximum", Stephen Schneider told CBS News.
This delay in the arrival of our coldest temperatures is better known as seasonal lag.More news: FBI Arrests Man For Alleged Pier 39 Christmas Day Terror Plot
- Hollywood Would Get Big Windfall Annually From Tax Bill
- Seven deadly stats of Rohit Sharma's record T20I ton against Sri Lanka
- MAMMA MIA! Sequel Trailer Is Here
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Getting 3D Replay and Killcam in Version 1.0
- Facebook challenges music streaming giants with Universal Music deal
- Venus Williams, 2nd driver won't be charged in fatal crash, police say
- Bristol City dump holders Man Utd out of League Cup
- European Union court sides with taxis in Uber ruling
- Apple slows some older iPhones because of flagging batteries
- Greenwood's Salvation Army corps projects $15K loss in donations