While the quantum of punishment will be pronounced on 3 January, Lalo Prasad and the other convicted have already been taken into custody and brought to Ranchi's Birsa Munda jail, CBI sources said.
The Deogarh treasury case pertains to money withdrawn, illegally, as the court now says, from the treasury in the years when Lalu Yadav was the Bihar CM. While 11 of them died, three turned approvers, while two others confessed to their crime and were convicted in 2006-07.More news: People Are Fuming About The Dress Meghan Markle Wore For Engagement Snaps
Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Modi, who was one of the petitioners in the fodder scam PIL, which resulted in CBI inquiry, said: "This had to happen".
Lalu is the president of the political party Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and two-time chief minister of Bihar between 1990 and 1997.
Sounding critical of the BJP-led government in the Centre and its handling of the CBI, Mr Jha also said, "Politically I know this regime, they have this typical Standard Operating Procedure-Try to make a deal with your opposition, if you fail".
There are six cases related to the fodder scam, and this is the second case in which Lalu has been convicted. In Patna, the party said it will challenge the verdict in the High Court (HC). Siddiqui asked why Lalu Prasad Yadav was being singled out even as Chief Ministers preceding him were also involved in this issue.More news: Google mastermind Eric Schmidt to step down from role in JANUARY
There were a total of 34 people accused in the case. It is baffling how the BJP and JD (U) had predicted the verdict.
The first conviction had come in 2013 and it was called the Chaibasa treasury case. While the two Jharkhand cases are pending trial, he has now been convicted in two other Jharkhand cases.
Or, will "coalition compulsions" bind Rahul Gandhi to forge pragmatic ties with the new crop of RJD leadership, embodied in Tejashwi Yadav, based on secular politics and history of unflinching loyalty from the RJD towards the Congress?More news: Birmingham Bowl score: Quinton Flowers ends career in style with another thriller
- WWE Stock Takes Big Hit Following News of Vince McMahon Selling Shares
- Netflix Announces Two Dave Chappelle Comedy Specials on New Year's Eve
- Jurgen Klopp praises Liverpool's defensive improvement
- Harry Kane hopes to beat Alan Shearer goals record
- Flu Season Is Upon Us
- Jamie Carragher: Arsenal And Liverpool 'Will Always Fall Short' Of Winning Trophies
- Major, among four soldiers killed in Pak firing along LoC
- European Union court sides with taxis in Uber ruling
- We Will Win 135 Seats in 2022 Gujarat Assembly Elections: Rahul Gandhi
- Royal Family roundup: A holiday card is here and Pop!s are coming