Rescuers here are still looking for more than 10 people believed to be trapped inside a Davao City mall hit by fire on Saturday morning, December 23.
"According to the authorities still in the area, in that situation it's hard to believe anyone can survive".
Search and rescue operations are still ongoing, but the Vice Mayor said, according to the Bureau of Fire Protection, there was zero chance of survival from the fire.
Valles told reporters outside a restaurant where the president was meeting with relatives of the missing workers.
The Mayor said this during a press conference Sunday.More news: Birmingham Bowl score: Quinton Flowers ends career in style with another thriller
Investigators will determine the cause of the fire and the prospects of criminal lawsuits against the mall owners and officials would depend on the outcome of the investigation, said the mayor, who is the daughter of President Rodrigo Duterte. Except for a grocery at the ground floor and the business outsourcing company at the top floor, the shopping areas were still closed to the public when the fire started mid-morning, preventing a bigger tragedy amid the peak Christmas shopping season.
"The fire started on the third floor, which houses products like fabrics, wooden furniture and plastic ware, so the fire quickly spread and it's taking a long time to put out", he said.
Valles said firemen and rescuers were finding it hard to penetrate the inner portions of the building due to thick smoke and searing heat as pockets of fire continued to burn.More news: Restaurants open on Christmas Eve, Day 2017 in Northern Utah
"It's possible that while they were working, they did not immediately notice the fire spreading", Canoy said of the call centre workers.
China's Consulate General in Cebu said they haven't received report about any death or injury of Chinese citizens in the fire.More news: Churches planning Christmas Eve services
- Harry Kane hopes to beat Alan Shearer goals record
- Facebook now shows if your account was influenced by Russian propaganda
- Reliance Jio enhances cashback offer to up to Rs3,300 on Rs399 recharge
- Family identifies woman killed in deputy-involved shooting in Schertz
- Chelsea's predicted XI: Alvaro Morata's return is Conte's best Christmas gift
- Google mastermind Eric Schmidt to step down from role in JANUARY
- Elon Musk's Roadster Is All Prepped-Up for Its Mars Voyage
- Winter Solstice, Daylight Relief in Sight
- Major, among four soldiers killed in Pak firing along LoC
- Seven deadly stats of Rohit Sharma's record T20I ton against Sri Lanka