The Showtime executive, with whom Mayweather has a close relationship, doesn't expect the 40-year-old Mayweather to box again, either.
It was hoped that McGregor would return to the Octagon in the main event of UFC 219 to defend his title and see 2017 out in style but discussions on that were given the kibosh after his ill-advised antics at a Bellator event in Dublin. People loved it, so somewhere down the line there's a possibility for a trilogy, but right now he has to defend his title against Tony Ferguson.More news: Husband in custody, 2 officers suspended following woman's death
In vacating his middleweight belt, GSP violated a clause in his contract that mandated he defend his title, should he win.
- Dana White, back to the real world. Instead, he attempted to fight for the lightweight title but Rafael dos Anjos suffered an injury and McGregor instead jumped up to the 170-pound weight class to face Nate Diaz in March of 2016.More news: Orrin Hatch Says He's 'Grateful' for Biting Editorial That Suggested He Resign
"It wasn't Conor's fault [dos Anjos] got hurt. So, we'll see." - Dana White on Skip and Shannon: Undisputed. It is Conor's fault he did Mayweather, but we made a decision to do the Mayweather fight and everybody gave a f--. The last time we heard from one Floyd Mayweather Jr., he was saying that he could fight in UFC if he really wanted to. "And after the fight, every fighter in the UFC gave him props for representing the sport". In the meantime, the UFC crowned an interim lightweight champion in Tony Ferguson in October.
One person you won't have to worry about seeing the Irishman fight, according to White, is Georges St-Pierre. If Conor McGregor doesn't fight, the UFC will go on. However, White shot down any notion that the UFC should have stripped McGregor of the lightweight title by now. "The question is does he want to come back and do it?"More news: Man suspected of killing wife, children wounds officer in shootout
The former five-division champion has come out of retirement twice to box - first for a fight against Juan Manuel Marquez in September 2009, then for the McGregor spectacle.
- Kremlin offers to be mediator between the United States and North Korea
- Erica Garner Was Reportedly Declared Brain Dead
- Liverpool boss Klopp holding talks with Mignolet over form and focus
- NJ Gov. Christie orders towns to accept 2018 tax prepayments
- Bomb rips through St Petersburg supermarket with shrapnel injuring 10 Christmas shoppers
- Tokyo flight turns back after passenger 'boards with wrong ticket'
- British Woman Sentenced To Three Years In Egyptian Prison
- Rupani sworn in as CM of Gujarat second time
- Apple raises pay for Tim Cook, other top executives
- Miss America President Reportedly Resigns After CEO's Vulgar Emails Surface