After finding her body, authorities arrested her husband of nine months, according to the New York Daily News.
A spokesperson for the NYPD on Thursday confirmed to DailyMail.com that the officers in question have been suspended from duty and that the Internal Affairs Bureau was investigating the allegations against them.
Two police officers were suspended yesterday after allegedly ignoring a 911 call to check on Tonie Wells, sources told the New York Post.
Pictured, Brooklyn couple, Tonie Wells and Barry Wells.More news: Bomb rips through St Petersburg supermarket with shrapnel injuring 10 Christmas shoppers
The cries of her 2-year-old daughter led neighbors to call the police for a wellness check.
Barry Wells, 29, was arrested this past September 21 on felony charges of strangulation in the second-degree for attacking his wife, Tonie Wells, in Manhattan on July 20. Police officers assigned to the 77th Precinct who were initially called to the house to check on the victim's welfare did not find anything out of the ordinary and left. Investigators say Wells had bruising to the neck and appears to have been pushed down the stairs, though officials are awaiting autopsy results to determine an official cause of death. "It was definitely him, ' the woman said referring to Wells" husband.
Wells' body was discovered at the bottom of the stairs into the basement.
Neighbors told the newspaper they were shocked by the violent tragedy.More news: Julian Assange's Twitter Account Again Available Hours After Being Deleted
Most damning were revelations that NYPD cops had been called to the Brooklyn home earlier that Wednesday to check on Wells who told 911 she was "scared" of her husband because he was 'acting amusing, ' according to police sources cited by the nypost.
He has not officially been arrested, police said.
Meanwhile, friends and strangers took to Tonie Wells' Facebook page after her death to offer their condolences.
During a press conference, Deputy Chief Michael Kemper, Commanding Officer of Detective Borough Brooklyn North said Wells' death was deemed suspicious.More news: Modi inaugurates Metro's Magenta line section
According to the Post, police have previously responded to a domestic incident at the home.
- Kulbhushan Jadhav's Wife, Mother To Meet Him Today In Pakistan
- Kremlin offers to be mediator between the United States and North Korea
- Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) announced with Infinity Display and dual-lens camera
- U.S. to resume visas in Turkey after 2-month suspension
- Russia Slams Trump's 'Aggressive' North Korea Rhetoric, Tells Tillerson it is 'Unacceptable'
- Very cold and blustery through Tuesday; Friday snow risk fades some
- Experts predict a bad flu season for Texas
- Liverpool boss Klopp holding talks with Mignolet over form and focus
- NJ Gov. Christie orders towns to accept 2018 tax prepayments
- Miss America President Reportedly Resigns After CEO's Vulgar Emails Surface