While police refused to answer questions during a Saturday press gathering, Police revealed both men having records with Mann on parole.
He said he feared for his life ahead of the arrests. Both suspects, from Schenectady, New York, were arraigned in Troy City Court on Saturday, with the next court appearance scheduled for Thursday. It wasn't until Tuesday, five days later, that a property manager found 36-year-old Shanta Myers; her children, 11-year-old Jeremiah Myers and 5-year-old Shanise Myers; and 22-year-old Brandi Mells in a basement apartment along the Hudson River, just north of Albany.
Troy Police Chief James Tedesco said the murders were an abominable act of 'savagery'.More news: Apple Not Happy With Clothing Company Using The Name Steve Jobs
"I don't have to tell you what a good feeling it is to have these two in custody", he said. Shakera Symes, sister of Shanta Myers, told Spectrum News in Albany that she's now raising Myers' 15-year-old son, who has been staying with her for two months. "I'm not sure if they're coming for me next".
One of the accused "appeared to break down", as he was escorted out of the court room, the Times Union wrote.
Tips can be called in to the police department directly at 518-270-4421, or anonymously online at CapitalRegionCrimeStoppers.com.
Jackie Robinson Sr., a pastor at Oak Grove Baptist Church in Troy, told the Times Union that there are "certainly reasons to be fearful". "I don't know of a word for it". "Until we find out, it certainly makes sense to be vigilant and keep your doors locked".More news: Fans across metro Atlanta remember anchor Amanda Davis
Family members expressed their grief to reporters at Troy's Boys & Girls Club, Fox reported.
Speaking about the moment he found out about his family he said he "couldn't believe it". Both entered a not guilty plea during their arraignment Saturday morning in Troy City Court.
"We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragedy", reads a statement on a GoFundMe page set up by a representative of the club.
The two children, Shanta Myers, and Brandi Mells.More news: Banner Hung at Pence's House: 'Make America Gay Again'
"Our hearts are broken and our thoughts and deepest condolences are with their family and loved ones during this terribly troubling time", Carmello wrote.
- Princesses Can't Act, Or Meghan Markle Would Be a Bond Girl
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for forecasted Friday snowfall
- James Franklin hurting from punch to ribs from Penn State QB
- Sister of Eric Garner, Erika, dies after heart attack
- Dr Phil show denies claims of aiding addicts find drugs
- Rocket fired from Gaza hits building in Israeli town, 2 others intercepted
- Instagram will now include 'recommended posts' in your feeds
- Trump says East Coast could use some global warming
- Iranians protest against high prices in Mashhad
- Rockies, RHP Davis agree to three-year, $52 million deal