People in Auckland, New Zealand, were amongst the first in the world to welcome the New Year on Monday (January 1) with a display of fireworks held on the iconic Sky Tower.
Many Filipinos believe that noisy New Year's celebrations drive away evil and misfortune. Then, in 2011, it chose to change its global dateline to align more closely with New Zealand and Australia in a bid to improve trade ties.More news: Trump says East Coast could use some global warming
Police said they did not know the cause of the crash, nor the identities of the five passengers, but were speaking with several witnesses who were in boats on one of the waterways' busiest days of the year.
Fireworks lit up the sky in Auckland.More news: Rockies, RHP Davis agree to three-year, $52 million deal
Fireworks explode near the Sydney Opera House as part of new year celebrations on Sydney Harbour, Australia, December 31, 2017.
Many cities around the world have stepped up security for New Year's Eve celebrations, especially looking at the major terror attacks around the world.More news: Rocket fired from Gaza hits building in Israeli town, 2 others intercepted
Those willing to courageous the cold in Beijing will join a countdown at the tower at Yongdingmen Gate, a rebuilt version of the Ming dynasty-era landmark gate at the southern end of the city's north-south axis. The artist collects wishes from people and integrates them in his work that will be displayed during New Year's Eve celebrations in front of Cologne's most famous landmark. New Zealand's time is 7.30 hours ahead of India, so for the first time every year the New Year celebrations start right here. The group of dignitaries picked to ring the old Bosingak bell at midnight includes Soohorang and Bandabi - the tiger and bear mascots for the Pyeongchang Winter Games and Paralympics in February and March.
- George Weah Unveils Agenda For Liberia
- Freshman QB Keytaon Thompson leads Mississippi State past Louisville in TaxSlayer Bowl
- Eagles stand behind Nick Foles after another lackluster game
- Winning debut for Carvalhal as Swansea beat Watford 2-1
- Z and Beyoncé Share Their Star-Studded "Family Feud" Video
- Second ship 'broke oil sanctions on Kim'
- Banner Hung at Pence's House: 'Make America Gay Again'
- James Franklin hurting from punch to ribs from Penn State QB
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for forecasted Friday snowfall
- Two arrested for grisly family murder