On Saturday, Delhi recorded a minimum temperature of 7.2 degree Celsius; the maximum temperature was recorded at 22.6 degree Celsius.
Almost 40 domestic and 26 worldwide flights were among those delayed. This happened due to a rapid build up of particulate matter owing to foggy conditions, even as Delhiites stepped out in large numbers to mark the first day of the New Year.
"Delhi woke up to worst fog of the season". Yesterday, 13 trains were cancelled due to low visibility and operational reasons whereas, 36 others were delayed and two were rescheduled.More news: Banner Hung at Pence's House: 'Make America Gay Again'
Visibility improved to 2,000 metres later in the day and operations were restored to normal.
RK Jenamani, Director, IMD, Delhi area and IGI airport has been quoted by PTI as saying, "Runway visibility since 5.30 am has been between 50-75 metres". The maximum temperature was likely to hover around 23 degrees Celsius, an India Meteorological Department official said.
The low visibility led to the cancellation of one flight and rescheduling of five domestic and seven International flights at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport.More news: Bears likely ousting John Fox at end of season, report says
Poor Air Quality Index has also contributed to the fog in Delhi and NCR. The weatherman has predicted similar conditions for Tuesday, with possibility of dense fog in the morning and early evening.According to railway data, as of December 31 midnight, 400 mail and express trains reached late, after getting delayed on the account of fog.
The fog also affected train operations with more than 50 trains running behind schedule at the New Delhi railway station.More news: Freshman QB Keytaon Thompson leads Mississippi State past Louisville in TaxSlayer Bowl
- Terrorists storm into CRPF camp, two personnel injured
- South Korea proposes high-level talks with North
- New Orleans Saints 14, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13
- LG Display creates 88 inch 8K OLED
- Costa Rica plane crash leaves 10 foreigners dead, government says
- And the title for Shah Rukh, Katrina and Anushka's new film is…
- James Franklin hurting from punch to ribs from Penn State QB
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for forecasted Friday snowfall
- Eagles stand behind Nick Foles after another lackluster game
- China Focus: China's factory sector shows resilience