The flames broke out after 5am (9pm AEDT) in the Van Nest area of the Bronx in a building that houses a furniture store on the first floor and apartments on the upper floors.
At least 16 people - including nine children - were injured when flames ripped through a four-story New York City building Tuesday, sending more than 200 firefighters racing to the scene to battle the blaze in the frigid morning.
Flames and smoke could be seen pouring from the building.More news: South Korea proposes high-level talks with North
The Fire Department of NY says 23 people, including a firefighter, are hurt following a Bronx blaze.
The building includes three floors of apartments over retail spaces.
"Children starting fires is not rare", FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said on Friday, adding that the stairway "acted like a chimney".More news: New Orleans Saints 14, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13
One resident said he fled the building with no shirts and no shoes - only his three young children. But fire officials say almost two dozen people, including that man and his family, have been displaced by the blaze. Nigro said authorities would enter the building to determine the cause of the fire once it's deemed safe. Mayor Bill de Blasio said a child playing with a stove apparently touched off last week's blaze.
The fire was put out several hours later and comes just days after a fire in the Claremont section of the Bronx killed 12 people.More news: Bears likely ousting John Fox at end of season, report says
- Indian Medical Association calls for 12-hour nationwide strike
- China Focus: China's factory sector shows resilience
- U.S. to cut UNRWA funding if Palestinians don't return to negotiations
- Iran's Oil Production, Exports Not Impacted By Protests
- Costa Rica plane crash leaves 10 foreigners dead, government says
- CBFC's Prasoon Joshi said only modifications were suggested in 'Padmavati'
- Terrorists storm into CRPF camp, two personnel injured
- NCP wants Triple Talaq Bill be referred to Select Committee
- Justice Dept. Must Act on Allegations Against Clinton Aide Abedin, Comey
- Raiders looking to reunite with Jon Gruden