Ajit Pai, a Republican appointed by, opposed the rules when they were enacted in 2014, when the FCC was controlled by Democrats. The ruling could make it hard for the FCC to repeal the net neutrality rules, and public interest groups are expected to challenge the move in court.
The sources added that federal law enforcement agencies have "intervened in the matter".
The FCC has been the target of much anger from the tech industry over its unpopular decision to end its net neutrality regulations.More news: U.S. to cut UNRWA funding if Palestinians don't return to negotiations
Critics have complained about the Federal Communications Commission's vote last month to repeal net neutrality rules set during the Obama administration that treated the internet like a public utility, Recode noted, and Pai has charged that he and his family have been attacked and threatened since the vote. It would have been Pai's first appearance at CES since being appointed as chairman of the FCC past year by President Donald Trump.More news: South Korea proposes high-level talks with North
The nature of the threats are unclear, but it is the second time in recent weeks Pai has dealt with imminent security concerns.
"The FCC's vote to rip apart net neutrality is a blow to NY consumers, and to everyone who cares about a free and open Internet", t. Acting Federal Trade Commission's Chairwoman Maureen Ohlhausen will still take the seat next to Shapiro, while FCC Commissioners Brendan Carr, Mignon Clyburn and Mike O'Rielly will also attend the show and give speeches.
Speaking about the repeal order, FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel who voted against the bill, said: "Going forward, our broadband providers will have the power to block websites, throttle services, and censor online content".More news: Barkley undergoes physical in Chelsea
- Organisations Respond To The EAC's Calls For A "Latte Levy"
- Spotify Sued For $1.6 Billion For Using Thousands Of Songs Without License
- New Year celebrations start across globe
- School Delays Due to Cold Weather
- And the title for Shah Rukh, Katrina and Anushka's new film is…
- Justice Dept. Must Act on Allegations Against Clinton Aide Abedin, Comey
- Bronx apartment fire leaves 16 injured
- LG Display creates 88 inch 8K OLED
- Iran's Oil Production, Exports Not Impacted By Protests
- Khloe Kardashian will reveal baby's gender on family TV show