United needed late goals from Jesse Lingard and Romelu Lukaku, to see off Derby County on Friday night. Sam Winnall then dragged one wide of the United post just before the half-hour mark as the visitors started to enjoy themselves.
Jesse Lingard could have opened the scoring as early as the second minute after being setup by Paul Pogba, but his shot could not find the target.
Pogba then had a golden chance in the 77th minute after the ball fell for the Frenchman inside the Derby box, but he scuffed his effort wide, and it did appear that the tie was heading for a replay.More news: Is Coutinho to Barcelona good news for Juventus?
Lingard, in the form of his life, pulled off a stunning first-time effort from outside the area to break the deadlock on 84 minutes.
United also got good news regarding Romelu Lukaku, as the Belgian global will be fit and available to play after suffering a scary blow to the head against Southampton on December 30.
The Red Devils had more options up front, but their best chances were still falling to Rashford, who squandered a pair of opportunities after being put through by Pogba and Lingard, respectively.More news: Nintendo's Switch Is The Fastest Selling Gaming Console Ever
Rashford saw Carson keep him out before again hitting a post ahead of a dragged shot from Pogba, to increasing frustration from the home supporters.
On the other hand, the Rams are now unbeaten in their last seven matches and are second in the Championship with a fine shot of getting a chance to coming back to the Premier League.More news: Game of Thrones Final Season of Six Episodes to Air in 2019
- Leigh Corfman files defamation lawsuit against Roy Moore
- U.S. suspends security aid to Pakistan over militant groups
- Feared Aussie strain took hold over Christmas, leading to more hospital overcrowding
- Home of Roy Moore accuser Tina Johnson burns in Alabama
- Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch won't stand for re-election
- Mega Millions, Powerball jackpots swell to $800M
- Spotify Sued For $1.6 Billion For Using Thousands Of Songs Without License
- CBFC's Prasoon Joshi said only modifications were suggested in 'Padmavati'
- Powerball numbers: Did you win Saturday's $390.1 million lottery jackpot?
- Khloe Kardashian will reveal baby's gender on family TV show