Gruden will be formally introduced at a news conference Tuesday.
Gruden, 54, has expressed an interest in returning to the sidelines despite a great job on ESPN's Monday Night Football.More news: Game of Thrones Final Season of Six Episodes to Air in 2019
Gruden will be announced this week as the next coach of the Oakland Raiders, and thus was working his last game for ESPN; McDonough made clear that Gruden was liked and respected not just by his broadcast partner, but by everyone involved with ESPN's National Football League production.
ALAMEDA The Oakland Raiders have officially hired Jon Gruden as their coach. Gruden was 3-1 at Arrowhead in his first stint with the Raiders and won a road game there with Tampa Bay in 2008. Gruden was the Raiders coach from 1998 until the 2001 season.
Gruden told ESPN earlier this week that he had a good talk with Davis about returning to the organization and believed there was a "good chance" it would happen.More news: Leigh Corfman files defamation lawsuit against Roy Moore
The Raiders' owner and managing general owner also may include an ownership stake in the offer to Gruden, also reported by Schefter.
The Cincinnati Bengals may have managed to retain their long-tenured head coach, Marvin Lewis, but they will soon be in the market for another defensive coordinator-not that that is a new phenomenon. He led the Buccaneers to the Super Bowl title over Oakland the following season. Late owner Al Davis hired Art Shell in 2006, 11 years after firing him the first time. Shell went 2-14 that season and was sacked after one year. He came back in 2004 and had a 30-34 record in four seasons, leading Washington to two playoff berths.More news: New Brunswick adds 4200 jobs, unemployment rate drops in December
- Home of Roy Moore accuser Tina Johnson burns in Alabama
- Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch won't stand for re-election
- Tesla's Model 3 Story Is Getting Old
- Trump could drive Pakistan towards 'full service' to China
- Spotify Sued For $1.6 Billion For Using Thousands Of Songs Without License
- Almost $1 billion up for grabs in Mega Millions, Powerball jackpots
- More Stores, While Macy's Announces 5000 Job Cuts
- HP recalls 50000 consumer notebooks following "overheating" concerns
- Apple acquires Canadian software startup Buddybuild to woo app developers
- Nintendo's Switch Is The Fastest Selling Gaming Console Ever