NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the deal is for five years for Gutekunst, who has been with the Packers for 19 years and was promoted to director of player personnel on March 21, 2016. The 44-year-old will take over the role from Ted Thompson, who will remain as senior advisor to football operations with the Packers.
Gutekunst has been with the Packers almost 20 years, joining the franchise in late 1998.More news: Trump disbands voter fraud commission, says Homeland Security will take over investigation
They swung for the fences first by requesting to interview Seattle Seahawks GM John Schneider, but they were turned down. A source said McCarthy is not opposed to working with any of the internal candidates, despite reports that he would try to leave if Ball got the job.
Gutekunst will be entering his 20th season with the Packers.More news: Pakistan condemns terror attack in Kabul
But how much are the Packers really changing?
Schneider would be the preferred choice of many in the organization, including some already in the scouting department, and coach Mike McCarthy. A promotion from within isn't surprising for Green Bay, but the team may have been interested in an outside hire before making the promotion. And perhaps that's all the Packers truly need.More news: Unsafe wind chills expected Saturday; warmer temps Sunday
But it's clear, despite the turnover, that the Packers still dearly value continuity and familiarity, and some of these changes seem cosmetic in nature. The proof will be in their ability (or lack thereof) to return to just a second Super Bowl appearance with Aaron Rodgers, approaching his age-35 campaign, still in his prime.
- NFL Playoffs: Atlanta Falcons at Los Angeles Rams
- Start time, TV schedule and how to watch FA Cup online
- Alex Trebek is invincible and you can't convince us otherwise
- Jon Gruden still won't say he's the next Raiders head coach
- Federal pot policy change sparks confusion, crackdown fears
- Natural disaster hits San Francisco, shaking Berkeley awake
- This Android virus can steal your banking info: Save your phone now
- Tesla's Model 3 Story Is Getting Old
- New Brunswick adds 4200 jobs, unemployment rate drops in December
- Jags defeat Bills in defensive battle