A New York Police Department spokesperson said a call came in at around 7:30 a.m. about a one-alarm fire on the roof of the 68-floor luxury building on 5th Avenue. "The men and women of the #FDNY are true heroes and deserve our most honest thanks and praise!"
The Fire Department of NY said it was called there at around 7am (noon GMT) after the blaze was reported on the top floor. Around 84 firefighters and 26 emergency units responded to the scene. Two minor injuries are reported; a firefighter who was hit with falling debris and a civilian. Pictures and video from the scene showed smoke billowing from the building.More news: Unsafe wind chills expected Saturday; warmer temps Sunday
Twitter user, Susan D. Ball, captured an image of a large amount of smoke emanating from Trump Tower and clouding the air.
Firefighters could be seen on the roof of the building, between 56th and 57th streets.
Smoke was pouring out the top of Trump Tower.More news: Federal pot policy change sparks confusion, crackdown fears
CBS This Morning provided a better view of the smoking tower.
The US president has spent little time in NY since his inauguration a year ago, but has a private triplex home at the top of Trump Tower.
This story is developing and will be updated.More news: Natural disaster hits San Francisco, shaking Berkeley awake
- Samsung's new 8K TV features AI, can upscale video to 8K
- 'Raising Iran unrest at United Nations a blunder'
- NFL Playoffs: Atlanta Falcons at Los Angeles Rams
- Jon Gruden still won't say he's the next Raiders head coach
- Nvidia unveils 65-inch 4K gaming monitors
- Golden Globes 2018: Stars take activists as dates on red carpet
- New Brunswick adds 4200 jobs, unemployment rate drops in December
- Change of govt inevitable in Tripura: Amit Shah
- ESPN at it again: Trump's 'af***ing stupid person'
- Trump postpones his 'fake news' awards