A sheriff's deputy in Washington State died after he was shot while chasing a burglary suspect.
McCartney was a husband and has three sons. The deputy had been transported to a hospital in Tacoma before he died.
Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor identified the officer as 34-year-old Daniel McCartney of Yelm.More news: How To Watch SpaceX Launch The US Government's Mysterious Zuma Spacecraft Today
It is with incredible sadness that inform you that our deputy has passed away from his injuries.
The department asked in a Facebook posting that the deputy's family, friends, and the department be kept in people's thoughts and prayers.
Police say two suspects were involved. Gunfire broke out about three minutes into the chase leaving McCartney only hours to live, one suspect dead lying next to a handgun and one suspect on the run.More news: Federal pot policy change sparks confusion, crackdown fears
The Bethel School District canceled all classes Monday because of the ongoing manhunt, which included authorities blocking roads leading to the district's bus facility and preventing bus drivers from starting their t pickup routes.
Investigators described the suspect as mixed race or white, tall and thin with curly dark hair in a ponytail, a large pointy nose, with pock marks on the right side of his face.
Police closed off roads in the area and conducted a manhunt in an area that includes industrial sites as well as wooded areas, asking local residents to stay indoors, but did not find the man. He was last seen wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and a black beanie and is believed to be armed. Nearby, they discovered the fatally wounded deputy.More news: Alex Trebek is invincible and you can't convince us otherwise
- Unsafe wind chills expected Saturday; warmer temps Sunday
- Rivals.com reporter Courtney Roland found safe, but in confused state
- National Football League to look into Panthers' handling of injury to Cam Newton
- Google Pay is official: Bundling Google's numerous payment services under one brand
- Fire breaks out at Trump Tower in New York City, FDNY says
- Trump disbands voter fraud commission, says Homeland Security will take over investigation
- UP govt blames contractor for saffron on Haj office wall
- Trump postpones his 'fake news' awards
- Lalu sentenced to 3.5 years in jail in fodder scam case
- Natural disaster hits San Francisco, shaking Berkeley awake