The controversy comes less than two weeks after a league mandate requiring more extensive concussion testing for players demonstrating obvious symptoms.
On Monday, Carolina players, coaches and interim general manager Marty Hurney met with reporters to wrap up the season.
Newton left for one play after Saints defensive tackle David Onyemata's chest struck Newton's head with about nine minutes left.
Newton was clearly shaken up, and as he walked toward the Panthers' sideline, he fell to his knees.
Ron Rivera said after the game that Newton had been poked in the eye. Any player showing "gross or sustained vertical instability" following a hit is now required to be evaluated for a concussion in the locker room, according to the NFL's updated concussion protocol.More news: Federal pot policy change sparks confusion, crackdown fears
The Panthers QB struggled to get to his feet before collapsing as he made his way towards the sidelines to get checked out by team doctors.
The changes came in conjunction with a decision not to punish the Houston Texans for their handling of a concussion suffered by quarterback Tom Savage.
Two weeks after the National Football League had revised its concussion protocol, it was apparently broken on the big stage.
However, the question could become whether or not Newton should have been taken to the locker room for evaluations. Hurney said, "We did everything right", when asked about Newton's treatment.
"I'm not here to make that type of judgment", Jordan said in the Saints' postgame locker room.More news: Tesla's Model 3 Story Is Getting Old
'My helmet had came down low enough over my eyelid and it got pressed by the player's stomach I believe.
The Panthers' handling Sunday of Newton's injury drew criticism by Chris Nowinski, the founding CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation.
Newton spent time on the ground after the hit. He said after the game the issue was with his eye, not his head.
When a reported noted that Jordan's sauce comment was a callback to Newton's joke, Jordan said, "Petty, right?" "We're going to send him a nice little bottle of Jordan wine".More news: Sears to close more than 100 additional stores
- Alex Trebek is invincible and you can't convince us otherwise
- Samsung's new 8K TV features AI, can upscale video to 8K
- NFL Playoffs: Atlanta Falcons at Los Angeles Rams
- Change of govt inevitable in Tripura: Amit Shah
- Jags defeat Bills in defensive battle
- Start time, TV schedule and how to watch FA Cup online
- Lalu sentenced to 3.5 years in jail in fodder scam case
- This Android virus can steal your banking info: Save your phone now
- Former Google Engineer Who Wrote Diversity Memo Files Suit
- New Brunswick adds 4200 jobs, unemployment rate drops in December