Apparently, some batteries have the possibility of overheating which will pose a fire and burn hazard to its customers. The recall affects computers in several different portable PC ranges.
Consumers should immediately stop using the affected products and go to the HP Battery Recall website to see if their battery is affected and to order a free replacement battery if needed.
Some batteries targeted for recall were also sold as accessories or replacements through HP or authorised service providers.More news: Red Sparrow Trailer #2: Jennifer Lawrence Is an Assassin on the Run
The batteries, manufactured in China, were sold separately at Best Buy and other stores and authorized dealers nationwide and online at www.Amazon.com, www.hp.com and other websites for between $50 and $90. That might sound like a small percentage, but given how many devices HP shifts in a year, it's still likely to be a fairly substantial figure.
HP Inc has confirmed that it is recalling an estimated 50,000 laptops across the USA and Canada over fears that the batteries could overheat and burst into flames.
"Many of these batteries are internal to the system, which means they are not customer replaceable".More news: Mostly cloudy, chance of snow showers — TODAY'S FORECAST
The list of machines with the problematic lithium-ion batteries included Probook, Envy, Pavilion, Zbook, Studio G3, and HP 11 models. There, you'll find a special HP Battery Validation Utility to download.
According to the recall notice, the issues came to light after eight customers reported battery packs overheating or melting.
"In January 2018, in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies, HP announced a worldwide voluntary safety recall and replacement program for certain notebook computer and mobile workstation batteries", said the company.More news: Winter flu outbreak hits Hong Kong, with ten reported deaths
Consumers with these batteries can install an update that will put the device in "battery safe mode" until it can be replaced. When this mode is enabled, the battery will be discharged and it will no longer charge until the mode is disabled. We recently learned that batteries provided by one of our suppliers for certain notebook computers and mobile workstations present a potential safety concern.
- Alligators Stick Noses Out Above Frozen Water During Hibernation
- Post University Online Program Ranked High
- Kawhi benched in Portland with partial shoulder tear
- Google Pay is official: Bundling Google's numerous payment services under one brand
- Yankees not out of the Gerrit Cole hunt yet
- H&M apologizes for ad of black boy in 'Coolest Monkey' hoodie
- Shilpa Shinde's Emotional Breakdown At The Press Conference
- Samsung's new 8K TV features AI, can upscale video to 8K
- Nvidia unveils 65-inch 4K gaming monitors
- Yemeni army regains key mountain range bordering Saudi Arabia