Sunday, 27 May 2018
Latest news
Main » Man charged in Kansas Fatal Swatting case with involuntary manslaughter

Man charged in Kansas Fatal Swatting case with involuntary manslaughter

14 January 2018

His bond has been set to $500,000 for involuntary manslaughter.

Tyler Barriss, the man police arrested for placing a fake emergency phone call to police in Wichita, Kansas that led to the death of an innocent man, has officially been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

When Finch opened the door he was caught off guard and made a move to cover his eyes-being blinded at the time by the presence of police spotlights.

Barriss will be back in court January 25.

More news: How Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg Lost $4 Billion with One Post

The Los Angeles man at the center of what is believed to be the first fatal "swatting" incident in the USA has been charged with manslaughter in connection with a hoax phone call that led to a deadly shooting in Kansas, records show. After spending some time in a California jail, Barriss was extradited to Kansas earlier this week.

Police in Wichita, Kan., charged Barriss with making a false alarm after someone called 911 with a similar shooting-and-kidnapping report at the home of Andrew Finch. After this incident, an arrest was later made, and now the suspect has officially been charged with involuntary manslaughter for having his hand in the events that led to a person's death. The officer involved in the shooting remains on paid administrative leave.

The case, Bennett said, has been unique and there's not a lot of previous case law to reference.

Prosecutors allege Barriss was in Los Angeles when he called police on December 28 with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at a home in Wichita. A man claiming he was responsible for the swatting said he was given an address on McCormick Street by another player, he said during an interview with the DramaAlert channel on YouTube.

More news: Lost in space? Secret SpaceX Zuma satellite a total loss

But Barriss was in Los Angeles, not Kansas, and there was no hostage situation.

The phony hostage call was made as a "prank" known as swatting.

An officer discharged his weapon after Finch reached for his waistband, Deputy Chief Troy Livingston of the Wichita Police Department said during a news conference on Friday.

An officer shot and killed Finch as he stood in the doorway of his home.

More news: This chart shows Americans' faith in the economy soaring since Trump's election

Man charged in Kansas Fatal Swatting case with involuntary manslaughter