The match saw South Africa's Vernon Philander taking career-best figures of six for 42 and finishing with overall nine wickets to eventually bag "man-of-the-match" award.
Former opener Virender Sehwag appeared unhappy with India captain Virat Kohli's bold selection for the underway Centurion Test, in which he excluded wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha and pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar to make space for Parthiv Patel and Ishant Sharma respectively on Saturday.
"I think at times they played very good cricket in that first test".
Du Plessis said he expected pace and bounce but admitted he was not sure how the pitch would play."It looks browner than I thought it would be", he said.More news: Bitcoin Tumbles As South Korea Mulls Closing Cryptocurrency Exchanges
In Cape Town, Bhuvneshwar gave India a rousing start taking three wickets in the first half hour of the Test. "Generally Centurion doesn't spin that much but there is a thick layer of brown grass on it so it's not something that we're used to seeing at Centurion", he said.
"For us‚ at the moment it is unknown and we will see how it plays over the next five days. If you do that against a strong team like India, they will pounce on you". "I said that match was one of the best I played in because there were so many ups and downs for both teams‚" he said. Conditions that we like are when we get the ball that spins as little as possible.
India's record of nine consecutive series victories is on the line after the hosts took a 1-0 lead in the three-match series. "I expect they will take a lot of positives from the game and I expect another huge performance from them".
Speaking about India, du Plessis said, "India, at times, was really good in that first Test".More news: Los Angeles Clippers at Golden State Warriors Preview 01/10/18
It may be too soon to draw conclusions from the result of just one Test, especially given the fact that the Indian pace attack was more than a handful for the South Africans.
"The team we selected last week was the right team and it worked pretty well", said Du Plessis."We have to decide whether we go with the same balance of four seamers and a spinner or whether we go for more of an all-rounder".
However, Kohli didn't mention whether or not there will be a change in the playing eleven.More news: Vivo showcases phone with in-display fingerprint sensor at CES 2018
- US President Donald Trump nixes United Kingdom trip to open new embassy
- Prince William speaks about being best man to 'best mate' Prince Harry
- Classified US Satellite Launched from Vandenberg
- Hundreds of vehicles gutted in parking garage blaze in Liverpool, UK
- Seahawks to play road game in London against Raiders
- This chart shows Americans' faith in the economy soaring since Trump's election
- Bon Jovi coming to Arkansas in March
- Syrian rebels declare counter attack in Idlib province
- Eurozone economy ends 2017 on stellar note
- Man charged in Kansas Fatal Swatting case with involuntary manslaughter