White hinted that McGregor may then return to face the victor of Ferguson-Nurmagomedov, yet again failed to clarify his status. "Shout out Celtic football club".
There had been speculation this week that White would use the opportunity to confirm that Conor McGregor has been stripped of the lightweight title, as a result of his failure to defend the belt in the 14 months since he won it.
And the young defender tweeted a photo of McGregor wearing the shirt with the caption "GOAT", an acronym for "Greatest of all time". "We'll see what happens [with McGregor]". Matt Erickson of MMAjunkie kicked the press conference off by asking White for an update on McGregor's situation.
GETTYDana White says Conor Mc Gregor won't be rematching Floyd Mayweather any time soon
White refused to directly answer questions about McGregor's champion status and later claimed, "It's an undisputed title fight", but did not elaborate on what that meant for McGregor. "The victor of this fight will be the champion", White said.
McGregor would be stripped of his lightweight title, "the belt would move on", and two other fighters would contend for the championship in the Irish striker's absence, according to UFC president Dana White. Right now the position we are in, Conor is saying 'maybe I'll come back in August or September, ' well that is nearly two years.
The Russian star's record is second-to-none, with his nine UFC victories in a row just being a part of an undefeated record that spans some 25 fights, dating back as far as 2008. That is not fair to the rest of the guys in the division.More news: American Arab group condemns U.S. cut in aid to United Nations agency
Of course, Conor McGregor now holds the belt, however, the Dubliner has not fought since November 2016 when he claimed the title by beating Eddie Alvarez.
"I take so much s*** for how much I like Conor McGregor and everything else, but the division has to go on".
"They offered me Conor - Conor didn't want to fight", he said.More news: Dylan Farrow speaks out against Woody Allen
White said later of Ferguson-Nurmagomedov: "No, it's undisputed, I said it would be. If and when Conor comes back, he will get the first crack at the title".More news: Justice Department to Retry Senator Menendez in Corruption Case
- Overwatch's 'Blizzard World' Map Will Be Launching January 23
- This Text Message will 'Blow up' your Apple Gadgets
- "We will prosecute" employers who help immigration sweeps, California AG says
- Lamar Odom Talks About Khloe Kardashian's Pregnancy And Her Relationships
- Tillerson Outlines New US Strategy on Syria, No Future with Assad
- Intel's Meltdown And Spectre Patches Causing Reboots On PCs With Newer Processors
- Theo Walcott reveals Wayne Rooney convinced him to leave Arsenal for Everton
- Trial for Accused Cop Killer Bracamontes Begins
- Data on Canadian immigrants from 'shithole' countries might surprise Trump
- Kelly: Trump campaign promises on border wall have 'evolved'