The suspect then turned and fired on them - hitting one deputy in the chest, the sheriff's office spokesperson says.
A manhunt was underway on early Thursday near Denver, Colorado after an Adams County deputy was shot and killed, officials said.
The suspected gunman in the slaying of Deputy Heath Gumm has been identified, but the search for two more suspects continues in Adams County.More news: NYC Sues Huge Pharma for $500M Over Opioid Disaster
The Denver Post reported that a hearse carrying the deputy's body left the garage at the Denver Health medical center around 12:30 a.m. MST on Thursday escorted by a solemn procession of police cars. The suspected gunman was arrested and taken into custody sometime after that.
Investigators say they are still searching for two additional suspects described as light skinned black males or dark skinned Hispanic males dressed in all black. "They told us to immediately shelter in place".
Other residents showed their support for Gumm, other deputies and police in different ways. Civilians, including some of the homeless people sleeping under nearby underpasses, have gathered to watch, according to 9NEWS anchor Kyle Clark who is at the hospital.More news: Tillerson: Russia 'bears responsibility' for Syrian chemical weapons attacks
A short time later, the sheriff's office tweeted that there was a "large unsafe scene with active searches in progress". The Colorado Police Foundation has set up a donation site for the deputy's surviving family.
Deputy Heath Gumm, 32, was shot and killed in the 8700 block of Dawson Street about 7 p.m. Deputies responded to an assault in progress call when a man pulled out a handgun and started shooting. It's located outside an Adams County Sheriff's substation where it's assumed Gumm worked.More news: Saudi-led coalition announces $1.5 billion in aid for Yemen
- Trump's "Ultimatum": Europe in Search of a Nuclear Iran Workaround
- Olympic Gymnast Aly Raisman Expected To Testify About Abuse By Team Doctor
- Serial stowaway charged with sneaking on O'Hare flight to London
- That is what occurs throughout a U.S. authorities shutdown
- Borussia Dortmund slam "disrespectful" Arsene Wenger over Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang talk
- Snapchat Stories can now be viewed outside of the app
- 3D-Printed Rocket Successfully Blasts Off From New Zealand
- Syrian Kurdish YPG says prevented Turkish forces from crossing into Afrin
- Mkhitaryan held all the aces and enjoyed making Mourinho squirm
- Venezuela's ANC Calls for Presidential Elections in April