The area, a shopping zone also known as Chicken Street, was crowded with pedestrians, shortly after noon local time.
New Delhi has strongly condemned the attack, terming it barbaric and dastardly.
"Today's attack is nothing short of an atrocity, and those who have organized and enabled it must be brought to justice and held to account", Yamamoto said in a statement.More news: The Potentially Life-Saving Feature Added in iOS 11.3
Reiterating that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed, the Security Council reaffirmed the need for all States to combat by all means. My government and I stand with the fearless people of Afghanistan.
Later, the Taliban claimed the attack. "The Taliban's cruelty will not prevail".
"President Donald Trump in August committed to putting more USA troops in Afghanistan to "[attack] our enemies, [obliterate] ISIS, [crush] al-Qaeda, [prevent] the Taliban from taking over the country".
President Donald Trump has pursued a plan that involves sending thousands more USA troops to Afghanistan and envisions shifting away from a "time-based" approach to one that more explicitly links US assistance to concrete results from the Afghan government.More news: Dutch intelligence 'infiltrated Russian group that hacked US Democratic party'
"Paris city, the Parisians are alongside Afghan people who face again the terrorist barbarism", she added.
The bombing was the deadliest insurgent attack in the country so far this year.
The Italian NGO Emergency said seven dead and 70 injured had been taken to its hospital, with its coordinator Dejan Panic tweeting that it had been a "massacre". It's the second attack in Kabul in a week.
He reiterated that under no circumstances are such attacks justifiable, and he called on the Taliban to uphold their obligations under worldwide humanitarian law, at all times.More news: Boeing loses Bombardier anti-dumping case
He also went on to condemn an early attack he labeled "cowardly", on civilians and children in Jalalabad on January 24.
- Brutal photo shows Hyeon Chung's Australian Open injury
- 37 dead in S.korean hospital fire
- Senate to release testimony from Trump Jr. on Trump Tower meeting
- North Korea Just Called for Unification with South Korea
- A super blue blood moon is on the horizon
- Military Academy In Kabul Under Attack
- Woods just makes the cut at Torrey Pines
- Karnataka bandh: Offices, malls, movie halls shut over security concerns bengaluru
- Korea fears above "comfort women" row to attend Olympics
- Caroline Wozniacki delighted after winning her first Grand Slam title in Australia