Two days after an FIR was filed against the Army in connection with the killings of stone pelters in Jammu and Kashmir's Shopian district, the Army today filed a counter FIR in the incident. The FIR was lodged under sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) of the Ranbir Penal Code against the personnel of 10, Garhwal unit, of the army.
The Army claims it as firing in self-defence after seven soldiers were injured in stone-pelting and the mob attempted to snatch the weapons of an officer.
The Mehbooba Mufti led state government has also ordered a magisterial probe into the incident even as a defence spokesman maintained that the soldiers opened firing in self defence.More news: Trump expected to announce order to keep Guantanamo Bay prison open
Rayees Ahmad had suffered grievous wounds when army troops opened fire on a group of stone pelters at Ganawpora village in Shopian on Saturday.
"Nothing should be done that demoralises the forces who are fighting the Pakistan sponsored terrorism in the valley against many odds to restore peace and normalcy in state and save the integrity of the nation", Gupta said. In case, it is required the persons named in the FIR are to be questioned, the Army will give the necessary permission, they said.
Anbu was reacting to the FIR registered by the J&K Police against the army for the incident that left three civilians dead.More news: One attacker arrested amid ongoing gunfire in Kabul
They demanded withdrawal of FIR against the army.
The third civilian, identified as Rayees Ahmad Ganai, had died after being admitted in hospital for treatment. "Army is an institution and it has played a good role but there can be black sheep".
However, Defence authorities have refused to conduct Court of Inquiry (CoI) against the Army officer who was leading the unit when the incident took place. "Whether police is treating it as an FIR or not will be for the police to comment upon", the spokesperson said. "If she doesn't give a clarification by February 2, I will ask it in the House", said Swamy. The written version has been added to the case file and will be part of further investigation into the incident. Members of her coalition partner BJP have demanded an immediate revocation of the FIR filed against the army.More news: Knicks Looking To Part With Joakim Noah After Exchange With Jeff Hornacek
- Green begins press conference with compassionate statement on Michigan State
- LS Speaker Sumitra Mahajan calls meeting of House leaders
- Islam scholar Tariq Ramadan questioned in Paris over rape claims
- Kenyan TV stations switched off over Odinga swear in
- Fujifilm to take over Xerox as photocopier demand drops
- HOLLYWEIRD: Anti-Trump Celebrities HOST COUNTER State of the Union
- WOODY: In trading for Alex Smith, Redskins get a proven victor
- Officer Who Pushed False Hawaii Missile Alert Believed It Was Real
- Fire drills carried out in Taiwan due to invasion risk from China
- Alexa can now send text messages