The source said a preliminary investigation was opened after two complaints were filed against Mr. Ramadan, a well-known figure in the Middle East.
Mr Ramadan, 55, denies wrongdoing and is suing one of his accusers, Henda Ayari, a former radical Islamist who now heads a secular feminist group.
Ramadan, the grandson of the founder of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood Islamist movement, has furiously denied rape allegations from two women that emerged late previous year, as the Harvey Weinstein scandal unfurled in the US.More news: Buy a flamethrower from Elon Musk, seriously
"It was the #BalanceTonPorc campaign that pushed me to reveal his name", she told the Parisien newspaper previous year, in reference to France's version of the hashtag which means "Expose your pig". The Paris judicial office has confirmed that two separate lawsuits were filed against Ramadan.
I have been silent for several years because of fear, because by threatening to press charges for the rape I was a victim of, he did not hesitate to threaten me and to tell me also that he could go after my children.
She described the alleged assault in her autobiography but at the time, did not name Ramadan to avoid legal issues.More news: Kim Kardashian West has traded insults with Lindsay Lohan over her cornrows
Tariq Ramadan is the professor of Contemporary Islamic Studies in the Faculty of Oriental Studies at St Antony's College, Oxford.
She filed a complaint with French authorities in Rouen accusing Ramadan of sexually harassing her, raping her, and issuing death threats towards her.
A second woman claimed the scholar raped her at a Hilton Hotel in Lyon in 2009.More news: WOODY: In trading for Alex Smith, Redskins get a proven victor
Ramadan has denied all accusations against him.
- Las Vegas shooting documents include second person of interest
- Five killed in US shooting at car wash 'sparked by domestic dispute'
- HOLLYWEIRD: Anti-Trump Celebrities HOST COUNTER State of the Union
- LS Speaker Sumitra Mahajan calls meeting of House leaders
- Knicks Looking To Part With Joakim Noah After Exchange With Jeff Hornacek
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Slashing iPhone X Production Amid Weak Demand
- Fire drills carried out in Taiwan due to invasion risk from China
- Officer Who Pushed False Hawaii Missile Alert Believed It Was Real
- Fitness model Jen Selter kicked off Miami flight by police
- Super Blue Blood Moon coming Wednesday