Sunday, 25 February 2018
Latest news
Main » Turkey takes slow but firm steps in Afrin to avoid civilian casualties

Turkey takes slow but firm steps in Afrin to avoid civilian casualties

03 February 2018

"Rockets landed in both Kilis and Hatay provinces, leaving 11 people injured, " the report said.

The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office on Sunday launched an investigation into pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) deputies Ayhan Bilgen and Nadir Yıldırım for "incitement of hatred and hostility" through their critical messages on Twitter over Turkish military operation in Afrin.

The Turkish authorities said on Friday that the explosion in a tax office in Ankara was caused by a bomb, not a gas leak as initially reported.

More news: U.S. flu outbreak worsens; hospitalisations highest in almost a decade: CDC

Ankara launched a cross-border offensive into Afrin on January 20 to rout the Syrian Kurdish militia it says is linked to insurgents fighting inside Turkey.

However, Turkey denied killing any civilian. A ninth suspect was killed during the operation to round up the group, they said.

According to Turkey, it is targeting the YPG, the main Kurdish militia in the area.

More news: Venkaiah Naidu, Narendra Modi pay tribute to Mahatma Gandhi

More than 300 people have been detained over social media posts that "criticised, opposed or misrepresented" the Afrin campaign, which started almost two weeks ago, the government has said.

The observatory also noted that 85 Syrian militants backed by Turkey had been killed in the operation, though Turkey placed this figure much lower.

More news: Irish busker says appearing on The Ellen Show was 'amazing'

Turkey takes slow but firm steps in Afrin to avoid civilian casualties