"China has adhered to the policy of no-first-use of nuclear weapons at any time and under any circumstances", he said, adding that under no circumstances will China use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear-weapon states or nuclear-weapon-free zones.
In a written statement, Trump on Friday said USA strategy is created to make use of nuclear weapons less likely.
Avoidance of "automaticity", a system where there is an automated retaliation in the form of a nuclear strike, and the need for new low-yield nuclear weapons are among the highlights of the Nuclear Posture Review (NPR) of the U.S. government released over the weekend.More news: United seek a reaction on Sanchez's home bow
Asking the USA to discard its "cold- war mentality" and take a fair view on China's military development, Beijing on Sunday criticised a Pentagon report that cast the Communist giant as "a major challenge" to America's interests in Asia.
Low-yield weapons are smaller, less powerful bombs with a strength below 20 kilotonnes.More news: Akshay Kumar aims to bust period taboo with #PadManChallenge campaign
China has urged the United States to drop its "Cold War mentality" and not misread China's military build-up, after Washington published a document last Friday outlining plans to expand its nuclear capabilities to deter others. The U.S. has named China, Russia, Iran and North Korea as potential threats. In his first state-of-the-union address on Tuesday, US President Donald Trump referred to China and Russian Federation as rivals that challenged US interests, its economy and values, and called for Congress to "fully fund our great military".
The Pentagon said last week that the planned tactical warhead for some ballistic missiles and the reintroduction of a nuclear-tipped cruise missile would help to deter a limited nuclear strike.
Defense Ministry spokesperson Ren Guoqiang said "we hope the USA will abandon a Cold War mentality and earnestly shoulder its special and prior responsibility for its own nuclear disarmament". Late previous year it denounced Washington's updated defence strategy and urged the United States to abandon "outdated notions".More news: Prosecutors charge Arizona man who sold ammo to Las Vegas shooter
The 74-page report, which is the first review of U.S. nuclear policy since 2010, labels China "a major challenge to United States interests in Asia".
- Katherine Lockler, Nurse in Florida, Actually Bugged by Flu
- Two students injured in school shooting in USA
- Syria rejects United States accusations of chemical weapons use
- U.S. flu outbreak worsens; hospitalisations highest in almost a decade: CDC
- Dow plummets almost 700, capping worst week in 2 years
- Olympic doping ban on 28 Russian athletes lifted
- Meghan Markle smiles awkwardly through awards speech blunder
- Google Announces Rollout Of YouTube Live TV To Roku And Apple TV
- Punxsutawney Phil's prediction: 6 more weeks of winter
- 'Westworld' Premieres First Season 2 Trailer During Super Bowl