Soon enough, Best Buy will cease selling CDs altogether, while Target will ask the record labels to front the costs. A report from Billboard showed that CD sales drop 18.5 percent past year as more consumers turn to digital downloads and streaming services such as Spotify and Pandora.
What the article doesn't note is the resurgence of vinyl preparation and that people have been partaking in purchasing vinyl rather than digital copies, and even some vinyl pressings come with a digital download code, and if there will be any effect on the physical pressings of vinyl for artists as well as CDs.More news: In Bengaluru, PM Narendra Modi vows to make Karnataka 'Congress
Compact Discs (CDs) used to be the top selling music format with its digital audio.
What do you think about big box stores dropping, or at least threatening to drop physical music CDs? Target may also join the anti-CD movement.
"At one point, Best Buy was the most powerful music merchandiser in the US, but nowadays it's a shadow of its former self, with a reduced and shoddy offering of CDs", Billboard reported.More news: Man arrested, charged with circulating child pornography on social media
As a collector of CDs, I personally would be quite bummed if this was the true beginning of the final end of the format, but things aren't looking too great right now. Although it remains a niche market in the grand scheme of things, new vinyl and high-dollar reissues made up a whopping 14 percent of physical album sales in 2017. Target is now taking the inventory risk by paying for any goods it's shipped within 60 days, but must pay to ship back unsold CDs for credit. Target then pays to ship back CDs that weren't sold for credit. It reportedly wants to switch from paying for all music CDs and DVDs it receives (and shipping back whatever it doesn't sell) to only paying for those discs that actually sell. This is versus the current method where Target is taking most of the risk.
The No. 2 discount chain has given DVD suppliers a start date of February 1, but pushed back the CD deadline to the spring, Billboard said.More news: Father Who Attacked Larry Nassar Speaks Out About The Incident
- Lallana sent off for grabbing opponent's throat in Under-23 outing
- Zero tolerance for female genital mutilation
- Turkey condemns terrorist attack in Pakistan
- The Cloverfield Paradox Is Now Streaming on Netflix
- Kevin Hart addresses getting denied from the Eagles championship stage by security
- Sensex cracks 1200 points, Nifty below 10300 — TERRIBLE TUESDAY
- Julian Assange Warrant Stands
- Tillerson warns Latin America to beware of China
- New features coming to PS4's operating system in big 5.50 update
- Ben Platt to star in new Netflix series from Ryan Murphy