A glitch meant some people received what looked like an actual warning, NWS meteorologist Hendricus Lulofs said.
The weather alert, however, turned out to be an error, and East Coast residents will not actually face sky-high waves that would likely decimate many of their cities. A tsunami warning is not in effect.More news: The Cloverfield Paradox Is Now Streaming on Netflix
But this was only a test of the system, AccuWeather tweeted out after the initial warning. People in NY also reportedly received the warning, as did people in Maine. The US National Weather Service and the Federal Communications Commission said they were investigating the false alarm.
"The weather service - they're the ones that issue the warning - and when they do that, it sends it to our system", said Tom Kines.
However, some screenshots showed an alert from the AccuWeather app that did not include the word "test".More news: Powell sworn in as Fed chairman
The alerts came after the state of Hawaii mistakenly warned residents of the islands of an inbound missile last month, sparking panic. We're now looking into why the test message was distributed by at least one private sector company, and will provide more information as soon as we have it.
Including, apparently, AccuWeather, the weather forecasting company that sent out individual alerts to localities, including Palm Beach County.
Kines did not know how far the erroneous alert traveled, but social media users as far as Florida and Texas reported receiving it as well.More news: What Yellen's Fed tenure will be remembered for
There were reports of alerts having been sent to other places as well.
- Turkey condemns terrorist attack in Pakistan
- Poland to pass law to deny Polish involvement in Holocaust
- Kevin Hart addresses getting denied from the Eagles championship stage by security
- Julian Assange Warrant Stands
- Tillerson warns Latin America to beware of China
- Dow Jones industrials sink 500 points
- CDC: Flu hospitalizations highest on record
- In Chicago, Kashmiris Assured Of Pakistan's Support Until Freedom From India
- Amtrak Train Derailed - Two Dead, 70 Injured in SC
- 'Westworld' Premieres First Season 2 Trailer During Super Bowl