While Le Drian did not directly call for Turkey to withdraw, he mentioned that defending its borders "does not mean killing civilians" and that the country "should not add war to war".
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu paid a surprise visit to the Iranian capital Tehran on Wednesday.More news: Challenges are only just beginning, says Rahul Dravid
"Unfortunately, following their failures in Iraq, some powers have turned to Syria with the aim of changing the geography of the region", he noted.
According to Anadolu Agency, the operation Olive Branch was launched to clear Kurdistan Workers' Party (PYD/PKK) and Islamic State (IS) terrorists from Afrin, northwestern Syria on January 20.
The air strikes came amid the ongoing military showdown between the Turkish forces and the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in the countryside of Afrin.More news: Winter weather could make for slick afternoon commute
"We oppose the presence in Syria by the Americans who have incorrect goals in the region and are thinking of disintegrating Syria", Rouhani told Iranian and foreign reporters in a press conference in Tehran.
They also said the Syrian people alone shall determine the future of their country "without external pressure or interference, in line with Syria's worldwide rights and obligations".
For his part, Cavusoglu blamed the US for hatching new plots in the region to undermine the growing ties between Ankara and Tehran, calling for close cooperation to thwart those schemes.More news: Drake shoots video at Miami school and donates scholarship
In Turkey, Tillerson will meet with senior Turkish officials to discuss "a range of bilateral and regional issues", said the US State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert in a statement.
- Spirit passenger flushes pet hamster down toilet after misinformation, report says
- United Nations investigating reports of chlorine attacks on civilians in Syria
- Cavaliers trade Dwyane Wade to the Heat
- Cavaliers trading Thomas to Lakers for Nance, Clarkson
- Colts hire Patriots OC McDaniels as head coach
- 4-magnitude earthquake shakes eastern Taiwan
- MFIA Clinic Seeks FISA Court Records in Carter Page Case
- Kristaps Porzingis Tears ACL, Dooming Knicks
- ESPN Plus streaming service announced for Apple devices
- Several feared trapped after Taiwan quake