Team USA has named their flag bearer for the 2018 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony in PyeongChang: Erin Hamlin, the first US athlete ever to win an Olympic singles luge medal. "He added he can "wait until 2022" and included a "#BlackHistoryMonth2018" hashtag. In Sochi, Hamlin became the first American to medal in singles luge with a third-place bronze, and she plans to retire after this year. "Now being voted flag bearer is a whole new level", Hamlin said in the statement. Hamilton won the honor after the official vote came down to a tie.
Commenting on outcome, USOC Mark Jones told USA Today "it is an athlete-driven process and the selection was made between two great candidates". No one wins a medal and you have to get up at 4 am ET to try and soak it all in, but this sort of thing only comes once every four years so who are we to sit here and pretend like it's not a big deal.More news: Powell sworn in as Fed chairman
One of the most decorated athletes in his sport, Davis he will be competing in his fifth Winter Olympics this year. He also has won the silver medal for the 1500-meter race twice.
Team USA speed skater Shani Davis says Team USA "dishonorably" tossed a coin to decide it's flag bearer at the 2018 Winter Olympics. But on the day after the announcement of Hamlin's selection, it appears that Davis is unhappy with the results and feels he is more entitled to carry the flag than Hamlin.More news: No tsunami on East Coast
Speedskater Shani Davis expressed his unhappiness on Twitter.
Hamlin will be the first member of the USA luge team to carry the flag since 2010, and the fourth ever, the statement said. The luge star became the first USA athlete to medal in singles luge since the event's inception in 1964.More news: Drake shoots video at Miami school and donates scholarship
While Hamlin is certainly deserving shell be competing in her fourth and final Olympics at Pyeongchang her resume pales in comparison.
- This year's Emoji update finally represents those with red hair
- Man arrested, charged with circulating child pornography on social media
- Drake Gives Miami Student $50000 Scholarship
- Joaquin Phoenix In Talks To Play Joker In Todd Phillips' Standalone Film
- Best Buy announces plans to pull all CDs from stores
- Cavaliers trading Thomas to Lakers for Nance, Clarkson
- MFIA Clinic Seeks FISA Court Records in Carter Page Case
- Cavaliers trade Dwyane Wade to the Heat
- Challenges are only just beginning, says Rahul Dravid
- N. Korea and the US Exchange Warnings During Disarmament Talks