A counterclaim has been filed against Georgia Tech head men's basketball coach Josh Pastner in Tucson, Ariz., where he's accused of sexual assault.
Tucson TV station KOLD reports the suit was filed Thursday in Pima County Superior Court by former Georgia Tech booster Ron Bell and his girlfriend, Jennifer Pendley.
In January, CBS Sports' Gary Parrish reported Pastner's attorneys claimed Bell and Pendley told investigators that Pastner had assaulted Pendley. Now there is a counter claim that accuses Pastner of sexual assault in February 2016, when he was still with the University of Memphis.More news: Cavaliers trading Thomas to Lakers for Nance, Clarkson
Last month Pastner filed a civil lawsuit against a couple for defamation, extortion and fraud. "Never", Pastner's attorney, Scott Tompsett, said in his statement.
Pendley then began to cry and asked for Pastner to stop, but the lawsuit alleges he did not and instead threatened her not to say anything because he was the head coach of the basketball team and knew "very powerful people who would make Pendley's life "a living hell" if she ever mentioned" it.
Since Bell's initial accusation, he and Pendley have come forward with more details on Pastner's alleged sexual assault.More news: ESPN Plus streaming service announced for Apple devices
The documents says Pastner got up and walked to stand right in front of her where he allegedly "looked down at Pendley and began stroking her hair". He also was under investigation, according to Tompsett, for physically and verbally abusing Pendley and holding her against her will in their home.
"I am disgusted and devastated by the actions of two individuals to whom I showed compassion", Pastner said in a statement.
"I absolutely and unequivocally never assaulted or harassed Ms. Pendley and I am truly sickened by these false claims".More news: United Nations investigating reports of chlorine attacks on civilians in Syria
Pastner has coached at Georgia Tech since 2016, winning 2017 ACC Coach of the Year honors in his inaugural season.
- Bangladesh: Opposition leader jailed for 5 years
- Kristaps Porzingis Tears ACL, Dooming Knicks
- Winter Storm Watch in metro Detroit issued for Thursday night, Friday
- MFIA Clinic Seeks FISA Court Records in Carter Page Case
- N. Korea and the US Exchange Warnings During Disarmament Talks
- Drake shoots video at Miami school and donates scholarship
- Shani Davis calls coin toss for US Olympic flag-bearer 'dishonorable'
- Americans Woodland, Reavie in playoff at Phoenix Open
- British IS fighters 'the Beatles' captured in Syria
- Spirit passenger flushes pet hamster down toilet after misinformation, report says