When he got back, he found that the right AirPod was wrecked. But when Colon returned, the AirPod had popped open, and char marks turned parts of the white plastic grey. "It's the craziest thing I ever went through", Colon told WFLA in an interview. "I didn't see it happen but it was already fried. You can see flame damage", Colon told a local news station. "But I'm sure that since it hangs down, it could've been [my] ear lobe, you know, my ear lobe could've been burnt".
An Apple spokeswoman says the company is investigating and will reach out to Colon.
It's certainly the first time we've heard an instance of the AirPods exploding. "However, because our customers' safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note 7".More news: Kristaps Porzingis Tears ACL, Dooming Knicks
The first was that the battery components in the Galaxy Note 7 did not fit in the battery's casing.
He believes the battery was the cause of the problem.
These were caused by manufacturing issues, including poor welding at the battery manufacturer. However, not the man, or anyone else, was present to see the actual pop or explosion of the small device so we can not yet be certain as to what may have actually happened.More news: Tech's Josh Pastner faces sexual assult lawsuit
Colon said he was relieved that he was able to take out the headphones from his ear before they blew up.
They're surprisingly good at staying put within your ear, and the battery life is commendable. "He's thankful he thought to remove the wireless AirPods when he sensed trouble".
The likelihood of losing them is real, but this fault lies in the hands of the consumer, rather than the manufacturer. While it's only one set in millions sold, it's going to get headlines just because it's an Apple product.More news: Health officials: Third NYC child dies of the flu
- Iran ready to help Turkey with its concerns in Syria
- Spirit passenger flushes pet hamster down toilet after misinformation, report says
- Joaquin Phoenix In Talks To Play Joker In Todd Phillips' Standalone Film
- Credit Suisse Roiled by Volatility Bet
- Warning of ice and snow on Friday for Flintshire and Wrexham
- Here's how to turn off iPhone throttling with the iOS 11.3 beta
- Martin Schulz exits coalition in bid to stave off revolt
- Explosion hits mosque in Libyan city of Benghazi
- Eye Rolls, Guffaws, Shock Greet Trumps's call for Military Parade
- Midwest pounded by heavy snow