"We are getting more snow today, tomorrow and Sunday than we have normally gotten in the last few winters at any one period of time", said Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, encouraging residents to stay indoors.
Michigan State Police said about 50 vehicles were involved in the Friday afternoon pileup in the highway's eastbound lanes just east of Kalamazoo.
The National Weather Service is sticking with its prediction of 7-12 inches of snow across the southern tier of counties in MI, but now says the winter storm will move through faster than originally anticipated.
Counties in IL that will be affected by the Winter Storm Watch are Lake, DuPage, Cook, Will, Winnebago, Boone, McHenry, Ogle, Lee, DeKalb, Kane, LaSalle, Kendall as well as Grundy county, along with Lake and Porter counties in Indiana.More news: Amazon launches 2-hour Whole Foods delivery; nationwide expansion coming
About 800 flights have been canceled in the Chicago area as heavy snowfalls hit the US Midwest overnight, media reported on Friday.
About 1,050 USA flights were canceled, with about one in five flights into or out of Chicago and Detroit airports called off, according to FlightAware.com, which tracks airline traffic.
Chicago officials say about 6 to 7 inches of snow has fallen on the city and they're gearing up for three more waves through the weekend. Those could bring another 3 to 9 inches total.
Portions of northern IN were hit hard, with 8 inches reported IN New Carlisle.More news: Here's how to turn off iPhone throttling with the iOS 11.3 beta
A winter storm moving across the Great Lakes that's forecast to drop about a foot of snow in some areas has closed schools and forced the cancellation of hundreds of flights.
In Detroit, weather forecasters warned that snow could fall at a rate of more than one inch (2.5 cm) an hour as it heads east.
The National Weather Service said heavy snow is forecast to move into upstate NY and New England by early Saturday, Reuters reported.
A one-two winter storm punch that started Friday - stretching from Montana through the Rockies, Plains and upper Midwest - will dump more snow and freezing rain through much of the northern tier of country this weekend.More news: Cavaliers trading Thomas to Lakers for Nance, Clarkson
- United Nations investigating reports of chlorine attacks on civilians in Syria
- One officer dead, two others shot while serving warrant near Atlanta
- Justin Timberlake stuns pushy 'Selfie Kid,' 13, again with Ellen's help
- ESPN Plus streaming service announced for Apple devices
- Credit Suisse Roiled by Volatility Bet
- British IS fighters 'the Beatles' captured in Syria
- This year's Emoji update finally represents those with red hair
- FBI Investigation Into Death Of Texas Border Patrol Agent Still Open
- Several feared trapped after Taiwan quake
- Health officials: Third NYC child dies of the flu