With just 6 minutes on the clock, a long ball forward towards Mohamed Salah saw Wesley Hoedt fluff his attempted clearance, allowing Salah to slide a perfectly-weighted ball across to the incoming Roberto Firmino on the edge of the home side's box.
Salah's role in the two goals should not be underestimated but Firmino's brilliance was timely given Liverpool legend John Aldridge's quotes earlier in the week.
Jürgen Klopp may choose to rest some of his star players ahead of Liverpool's Champions League match with Porto next week, but it will still be a strong side.More news: FORECAST: Areas of snow tonight
It will be a symphony of boos and hostile reception for the handful of ex-Saints in the Liverpool team - with van Dijk the latest to experience the treatment from Southampton fans after he left for Anfield on acrimonious terms in January.
Salah received the ball from Joel Matip around 30 yards out from goal and was allowed to turn and play a short pass into Firmino's feet.
"Important for us to get a good start".
If Klopp needs to try to change the game at any point this afternoon on the south coast then he can look to his bench, with options available including Adam Lallana and Danny Ings.More news: Bangladesh: Opposition leader jailed for 5 years
The pace that Liverpool have could cause a real issue for out back-line with Salah reeking havoc in the reverse fixture!
"I didn't know United had lost before the game, but we know we're not far away, and we play against them at least one more time this season", said Klopp.
Meanwhile, the Saints beat West Brom last time around and will be keen to extend their lead away from the relegation zone.More news: Trump Signs 2-Year Spending Pact
- Boston Herald Apologizes For Fake Story About Tom Brady
- Sunjuwan Army camp attack: Second terrorist gunned down
- Warning of ice and snow on Friday for Flintshire and Wrexham
- SBI Q3 earnings today: 4 things to watch out for
- Martin Schulz exits coalition in bid to stave off revolt
- Eminent Pakistani lawyer, activist Asma Jahangir dead
- Midwest pounded by heavy snow
- Health officials: Third NYC child dies of the flu
- Auto Expo 2018 highlights: Electric Vehicles steal the limelight
- Explosion hits mosque in Libyan city of Benghazi