They said the deputy chief of the outlawed Pakistani Taliban, Khan Said Mehsud, also known as Sajna, was returning from the adjacent Afghan border province of Khost when missiles fired from an unmanned aircraft hit his vehicle.
Mehsud was a commander in the Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan, or TTP, the Taliban's main faction.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) today confirmed that the groups deputy chief Khalid Mehsud alias Commander Sajna was killed in a USA drone strike on February 8 in Pakistans restive northwestern tribal region. Three of his guards were also killed in the strike. A feared militant commander, he also claimed to have masterminded the 2012 jailbreak in the northwestern town of Bannu that resulted in the escape of almost 400 inmates, including several high-profile militants. The group is responsible for dozens of suicide bombings and other terrorist attacks.More news: Flying leadership transfer inside Germany's SPD meets with resistance
The illegal narcotics trade funds 65 percent of insurgent activities, and the US military has recently unleashed a new air campaign to destroy drug labs in a bid to disrupt Taliban financial resources in Helmand, which borders Pakistan.
Pakistan and Afghanistan had "good discussions" after they concluded two-day talks on important issues on Saturday, an official said.
It described him as a true successor to the first two chiefs of TTP - Baitullah Mehsud, the groups founder, and Hakimullah Mehsud.More news: Trump budget ends United States funding for International Space Station by 2025
Bajwa's presence is particularly significant as both Afghan and US officials ratchet up pressure on Pakistan to close Taliban sanctuaries on its soil.
Mehsud refused to accept Mullah Fazlullah as TTP chief, mainly because Fazlullah did not hail from the tribal region, and was living in Afghanistan due to the absence of his own base on Pakistani soil.More news: Eating Slower Tied to Lower Obesity Risk in Type 2 Diabetes
- The most distant photo ever taken
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, Redmi Note 5 Pro hit India
- U.S. coalition kills 100 fighters in air and artillery strikes
- Apple's iOS 12 strategy could see the end of buggy features
- Russian mercenaries killed in USA strike on pro-Assad forces
- Ex-beauty queen with rare condition wakes up with British accent
- Wenger: Lacazette offended by Aubameyang move
- Pochettino full of confidence after Tottenham "dominate" Juventus in Champions League
- Game Preview: Golden State Warriors vs Phoenix Suns
- Duterte orders military to cancel helicopter deal with Canada