Attorneys representing the adult siblings told the outlet that seven of them are now living at Corona Medical Center and, for the first time in their lives, can make their own decisions and "have a voice".
But the home school with the inviting name concealed a life of horror and abuse, where the children were beaten and starved, chained to their beds for weeks at a time and allowed to shower once a year, according to Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin. The California Child Protective Services and Adult Protective Services will take care of the victims once they get a clean bill of health from the hospital.
Osborn and Caleb Mason, who are representing the older siblings, said that the staff at the Corona Medical Center converted part of the center to make it more comfortable, including an outdoor area where they can exercise. The seven adults in the hospital are able to communicate with their siblings in foster care over Skype. Participating restaurants in Corona, Riverside and Redlands agreed to donate a percentage of their sales back to the victims and raised over $180,000 for the children, KABC reported.
"That in itself is a new experience for them, understanding that they do have rights and they do have a voice", Mr Osborn told CBS.More news: Pep Guardiola: Manchester City manager charged for wearing political ribbon
They are also excited about being given the freedom to go to the beach, the mountains and the movies, he said. "They all have their own aspirations and their own interests, and now they may have an opportunity to address those, which is really exciting".
This abuse likely continued for years, dating to when the Turpins previously lived in Texas and Murrieta, authorities have said.
David Turpin, 57, and his wife Louise, 49, were advised of the new charges during a brief hearing in Riverside County Superior Court, where they appeared dressed in black at a table with their attorneys but did not speak.
Turpin Family Case: What to Do If You Suspect a Child Is in Danger? Louise Turpin is facing an additional felony assault charge, according to CNN.More news: Winter Olympics 2018: Russian bobsledder Sergeeva disqualified and suspended for doping violation
"Further investigations we have been doing in this case led us to amend the complaint, which is not uncommon", spokesman John Hall said outside court. The father also pleaded not guilty on one charge of a lewd act to a child. She works closely with the siblings' nurses.
The original indictment charged each with 12 counts of torture, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult, six counts of child abuse and 12 counts of false imprisonment.
Defence attorneys, who have asked the public to remember that their clients have a presumption of innocence, told the judge that they were sceptical they could be ready to proceed with a preliminary hearing of the case because of the voluminous amount of evidence turned over by prosecutors.
The couple has been held on $12 million bail each since they were arrested last month.More news: Switching to 'megaphone' diplomacy, Iran threatens to leave nuclear deal
Some "didn't really know what a toothbrush was used for", she said.
- Joanna Demafelis: Employers of Filipina maid found dead in freezer arrested
- BB&T banking services down Friday morning due to technical issues
- At US urging, Pakistan to be placed on terrorism-financing list
- City Officials: Car Crash Into Hospital Was Intentional
- Mexican president's US visit called off after border wall row with Trump
- The Dropbox IPO is finally happening
- Gosling stuns Newcastle to snatch draw for Bournemouth
- Borussia Dortmund condemn alleged racist chants towards Michy Batshuayi
- Steelers earn zero compensatory picks for 2018 National Football League draft
- Netanyahu's confidant agrees to testify against him in graft probe