Williams has now revealed that she is ready to return to action, but admitted she will not be at her best.
Williams, a victor of 23 grand slams - a record in the Open Era - is set to be back in a WTA tournament for the first time in over a year at Indian Wells, as she bids to build up her playing time ahead of the French Open and Wimbledon.
The Williams sisters were the headline act at the eight-woman event at Madison Square Garden.
After all, the former world number one only gave birth six months ago, and six weeks of that time was spent in bed as she recovered from emergency surgery.
"I hope that I can leave a legacy, something behind where other players will look up to me and think maybe I wasn't just a tennis player but much more than that", he added.More news: Attackers try to saw off South African athlete's legs
The victor of two tournaments already this year, Svitolina won the last seven points against Venus to win 10-3, before crushing Vandeweghe 10-0 and then powering to victory in the final against Zhang 10-3.
"It's been really, really hard but I keep going and I know that I might not be at my best yet, but I'm getting there and every day is a new day and every day I should be getting better".
"Serena's target will be to win grand slams", he told WTAtennis.com. [But] I think we can say without doubt that this is her biggest challenge.
"There are three Grand Slams left this season".More news: High jump takes centre stage on opening day of world indoors
"If I'm not ready now, I'm just never going to be ready".
The new mother, who gave birth to a daughter in September, will try to become the first woman to win three singles titles in the desert. She said she was having fun playing again and was excited for the future.
"It would be so [much] fun - the help that we could do, and the awareness and the athletes and the awesome players that would come out of Africa would just be unbelievable", she added.
"I've been trying to get back into playing tennis, which is something that I love the most, and to have this experience with Serena who is my greatest friend, means so much. But she knows she will have to go step by step, it is a long way".More news: Watch a hotel rip Trump's name off its sign
- Arrest warrant issued for Pro-Bowl Oakland Raider Aldon Smith
- Microsoft is ditching Windows 10 S for 'S Mode'
- Amazon is aware that Alexa is scaring people with seemingly random laughter
- Trump says he'll counteract any Russian Federation meddling in midterms
- Google working on real-time background removal for YouTube videos
- UFC 222 Results: Brian Ortega Emphatically KO's Frankie Edgar
- Central Michigan postpones game in wake of campus shooting
- The top ten billionaires are even richer than Forbes says
- Neymar undergoes successful surgery on injured right foot
- Governor: Deal reached to end 9-day teachers' strike