The move by the Saudis would give Air India "a significant and unfair advantage" over El Al, Gonen Usishkin, the CEO of Israel's largest carrier, wrote in a letter, addressed to ICAO head, Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu.
Air India is launching a new flight from New Delhi to Tel Aviv, starting on March 22, and has been given permission to use the skies over Saudi Arabia, an Air India spokesperson told CNN.
Israel and India have seen a surge in cooperation under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The airline plans to operate flights between the two destinations on the new route three times a week.
Mr. Netanyahu discussed the launch of direct Air India flights to Israel with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi while on a state visit to India in January.More news: Russia's foes will 'be served poison' - Putin
"We have not received any confirmation".
A spokesman for the Israel Airports Authority confirmed Air India has received permission to land at Israel's Ben Gurion airport.
Air India is charging about $700 return fare for its new Tel Aviv - Delhi route.
Jerusalem Post had reported that after his meeting with US President Donald Trump, Netanyahu said that Air India signed an agreement that day enabling the flights to and from Israel over Saudi Arabia.More news: Liverpool veteran James Milner convinced Champions League challenge is on
The Saudi government had banned flights headed to Israel from using its airspace for 70 years.
The Air India flights will save flying time due to their shorter route.
Saudi Arabia and Israel have no official diplomatic ties, like much of the Arab world.
This has been credited to the shakeup of Saudi domestic and foreign policy, spearheaded by the young and ambitious Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.More news: 'Feminist strike': International Women's Day sees transport & work chaos in Spain
- Browns trade for WR Jarvis Landry: What they're saying
- Blockbuster: February Jobs Report 'Crushes' Expectations, GOP Policies Boosting Economy
- McDormand's alleged Oscars thief denies grand theft of property charge
- 'Fortnite Battle Royale' heading to mobile, iOS test run announced
- Freezer malfunction leaves more than 2000 frozen eggs and embryos at risk
- Serena Williams ready to return after 14-month absence
- ESPN, Fox willing to pay Peyton Manning $10M per year
- United States closes consulate in Playa del Carmen, over 'security threat'
- Mohammad bin Salman, 'real evil' in region: Iranian official
- Should Daylight Saving Time be eliminated?