Reports claim that repolling may take place in Bhabhua on 23 polling booths on March 13 as EVMs were not working today. In Gorakhpur, the BJP had nominated Upendra Dutt Shukla against SP's Nagendra Pratap Singh Patel and Sureetha Kareem of the Congress.
Official sources said here that voters are casting their votes for Araria Lok Sabha seat, Jehanabad assembly seat and Bhabhua assembly seat where by-polls were necessitated following deaths of sitting representatives.More news: US House Speaker Ryan criticizes Trump tariff plan
The BJP has expressed confidence in winning the UP seats, especially the Gorakhpur Lok Sabha seat which was represented by Yogi Adityanath for 5 consecutive terms before he was appointed Chief Minister.
The Bihar bypolls have a special attention as Janata Dal-United (JDU) and chief minister Nitish Kumar has joined hands with the arc rivals Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and contesting against old partners RJD-Congress.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath was among the early voters in Gorakhpur. Also, two assembly seats Jehanabad and Bhabhua will go for byelection. The saffron party fielded Pandey's wife Rinky Rani. Former BJP parliamentarian Pradeep Kumar Singh is hoping to wrest the seat from the RJD, which has fielded Sarfaraz Alam, whose father Mohd Taslimuddin was a parliamentarian from this seat. However, a total of 14 candidates including three women are in the fray.More news: Blockbuster: February Jobs Report 'Crushes' Expectations, GOP Policies Boosting Economy
JD (U) had initially stated that it will not contest the bye-elections but later relented at BJP's urging to contest from Jehanabad.
The Lok Sabha by-election for two constituencies of Uttar Pradesh, namely Gorakhpur and Phulpur are underway. You all may know that Mr. Alam is locked in a direct contest with the BJP's Pradip Singh who came second in the 2014 general elections but had won the seat in 2009.
Though fourteen candidates are in the fray in Jehanabad, the fight is mainly between the RJD's Kumar Krishna Mohan and JD (U)'s Abhiram Sharma, who took the seat in the 2010 assembly election.More news: Should Daylight Saving Time be eliminated?
- Britain First leaders jailed over Ramsgate rape trial videos and leaflets
- Trump envoy Kushner meets with Peña Nieto
- Toys 'R' Us May Liquidate Its Bankrupt US Stores
- Lenovo S5 smartphone will compete with Xiaomi Redmi Note 5
- Xi urges USA , N.Korea talks 'as soon as possible'
- David Moyes blasts Andre Ayew after West Ham departure
- Prince Harry and Meghan's incredible gesture for budding young actress
- 'Feminist strike': International Women's Day sees transport & work chaos in Spain
- Blankfein Prepares to Exit Goldman, WSJ Reports
- Time to "Spring Ahead" Daylight Saving Time starts