The Airbus A320 Neo plane had 186 passengers on board.
Indian carriers have had three mid-air engine failures in less than a month, and the latest directive takes the total number of P&W geared turbofan-powered A320neos grounded to 14.More news: PHOTONEWS: US Secretary Tillerson, President Buhari Meets in Abuja
Pratt & Whitney is an American aerospace company that manufactures both military and civil aircraft engines. After the incident, the airlines ascertained that none of these affected engines shall be operated with IndiGo.
On Monday a flight operated by IndiGo, India's biggest low-priced carrier, experienced a technical glitch with one of its engines.
Clarifying its position, Pratt & Whitney in a statement said, "We are working closely with our customers to minimise disruption". The IndiGo airlines also expressed regret after thousands of passengers who faced inconvenience during the immediate grounding.More news: David Moyes blasts Andre Ayew after West Ham departure
The DGCA's order today came after in-flight shutdown was reported on three aircraft that were being operated with one affected engine.
The glitch with the so called knife-edge compressor seal is the latest in a series of expensive problems for Pratt in its development of the geared turbofan engine model. An airport official said the aircraft made the emergency landing at around 2200 hours. The flight crew carried out actions as per SOP and landed back at Ahmedabad following precautionary measures.
The cancellation of flights has hit air travellers as hundreds of passengers were stranded across the country.More news: Arsenal thump Watford 3-0 in Premier League
"We must give the highest priority to safety". An aircraft, on average, operates seven to eight trips a day and considering that 11 aircraft have been grounded, the number of cancelled flights could soar quickly besides the leading to cascading delays. "We are altering flight schedules and communicating the same to those affected by the last minute changes; we are making all possible arrangements to minimize the impact", GoAir said in a statement.
- Major fire breaks out in Maharashtra chemical company, 14 people injured
- Kylie Jenner Revealed All The Pregnancy Details You've Been Dying To Know
- Agitators to lay siege to Vidhan Bhavan in Mumbai
- Cristiano Ronaldo Brace Sees Real Madrid Past Eibar in La Liga
- US House Speaker Ryan criticizes Trump tariff plan
- Bihar bypolls: Voting underway for Araria Lok Sabha seat, 2 assembly seats
- Toys 'R' Us May Liquidate Its Bankrupt US Stores
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY GLOBAL: just $12.60!
- Conners leads, Woods lurks at Valspar
- Fact-check: Trump inflates his share of women's votes