The Vikings have "reached out " to Drew Brees' agent, Tom Condon, according to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network. But it's now completely legal for any National Football League team to call Brees's agent, make a contract offer and try to get him to change his plans about where to go next. One of the biggest names if that of quarterback Drew Brees, who has said he wants to return to the New Orleans Saints, but many others want him too.
It would ultimate still be a major upset if Brees leaves the Saints, but there's always a chance negotiations could sour.
The Saints only have until Wednesday to sign Brees to a new deal or they're hit with an $18 million dead cap charge for Brees whether he's on their roster or not. If there's a single team that needs a quarterback that hasn't already called Brees's agent to see if there's any interest, that team is making a huge mistake.More news: David Moyes blasts Andre Ayew after West Ham departure
No matter what is taking place right now, there are many who believe it is just a matter of time until Brees dons the black and gold again. He was part of New Orleans' Super Bowl-winning team from the 2009 season, and he became a regular starter in 2011, staying in that role until early 2017 when a knee injury cut his season short after two games.
The Vikings aren't the only team that has checked with Brees and his agent regarding the future Hall of Famer's availability. Cousins is certainly a quality starting quarterback, and potentially better than that.
Brees re-structured his contract to cut a cap hit in 2016 almost in half, pro-rating a signing bonus of $18 million over three years, starting in 2018. Strief made the announcement during a news conference at the Saints Facility in Metairie Monday.More news: Time to "Spring Ahead" Daylight Saving Time starts
The situation is worth monitoring as the legal tampering period arrives.
In other words, free agency starts.More news: Bihar bypolls: Voting underway for Araria Lok Sabha seat, 2 assembly seats
- Penn State basketball misses 2018 NCAA Tournament bid
- Prince Harry and Meghan's incredible gesture for budding young actress
- Bracketology 2018: Davidson wins the A 10 title, ruining someone's NCAA dreams
- Air strikes resume in Syria's Ghouta as aid convoy enters
- Arsenal thump Watford 3-0 in Premier League
- Six Nations: Ireland win 2018 title after England's defeat to France
- US House Speaker Ryan criticizes Trump tariff plan
- Trump envoy Kushner meets with Peña Nieto
- Cristiano Ronaldo Brace Sees Real Madrid Past Eibar in La Liga
- Pregnant Khloe Kardashian 'Is Having Major Sleeping Issues'