"The majority of gun owners want gun control and we're putting lives of these children at the feet of Congress and saying, 'Catch up, act now, let's end this'".
"About five families came that were victims of gun violence", says Oscar Soria, senior campaigner with the protest group.
One of the parents in attendance Tuesday was Tom Mauser, whose son was killed in the Columbine school massacre.
Over a two week period, Avaaz collected shoes from all over the country. "I think this kind of event with shoes offers a very powerful metaphor both for how we miss the victims who once filled those shoes, and also for how we see ourselves wanting to walk in their place, seeking change, so that others don't have to walk this painful journey".More news: Militants 'Capture District Headquarters' In Afghan Province
The Capitol Hill display is not the first time Avaaz has used shoes to make a political statement.
Prominent celebrities, including Bette Midler and Chelsea Handler, helped publicize the drive via social media. Since the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting in Dec 2012 until now, the math shakes out to roughly 7000 kids (0-17) killed by guns since then.
"It's incredible to see", Soria said.
7,000 pairs of empty shoes cover the grass outside the US Capitol.More news: IndiGo, GoAir cancel 65 flights after DGCA grounds faulty planes
Activists and volunteers gathered at dawn, placing 7,000 colorful pairs of donated children's footwear side by side in a trapezoid shape to commemorate those who have died since the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.
The memorial comes the day before the scheduled national student walkout to protest gun violence following the Parkland, Fla. high school shooting last month that killed 17 people.
Following today's demonstration, the shoes will reportedly be donated to charities.More news: President Trump visits troops, promising pay raise - and maybe 'space force'
- Man United vs Sevilla: how and where to watch
- Here's Why PS4 and Xbox Players Can't Play Fortnite Together
- Fitbit targets smartwatch mass market with new Versa device
- Malcolm Butler to sign with the Tennessee Titans
- Williams sisters to face each other in Indian Wells Masters third round
- Macron and Modi kick-start International Solar Alliance
- PHOTONEWS: US Secretary Tillerson, President Buhari Meets in Abuja
- Raiders to release high-price CB Smith
- New Mexico's jobless rate fell to 5.9 percent in January
- Vincent Kompany Motivated to Win Premier League Title Against Manchester United