For the past 30 years, the holiday has been celebrated on March 14, the day of the year that lines up with the first three digits of pi.
Meanwhile, NASA is also celebrating Pi Day in its own special manner.
Pi (Greek letter "I") is the symbol used in mathematics to represent a constant - the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter - which is approximately 3.14159.More news: Raiders to release high-price CB Smith
Historically, the first Pi Day was held at a San Francisco Science Museum in 1988 when the physicist looked at the calendar and chose to pay homage to the mathematical entity. A Babylonian tablet from between 1900 B.C. and 1680 B.C. calculates pi as 3.125, and the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus of 1650 B.C., a famous Egyptian mathematical document, lists a value of 3.1605. For those who are wondering what it is, it's Pi Day. Nowadays, Pi Day is often associated with food - perhaps pizza, or a meat pie, but in this case, a classic American apple pie with a French twist. Ansel, in his signature chef style, honoured the mathematical constant by demonstrating the pi formula using his personal Salted Caramel Apple Pie recipe.
Pi is useful in every field of science as it's used for calculations involving the volume and surface area of spheres, as well as for determining the rotations of circular objects such as wheels.More news: Serena Williams Loses Her First Match To Older Sister
The Pi constant was also celebrated in music and movies. It was however, William Jones, a mathematician from Wales, who first gave the Greek letter its current mathematical definition. Therefore, it is an irrational number which is less than infinity.
Pi is also a source of inspiration for competitions, where participants have to recite as many decimals of the number as possible.More news: DeVos' 60 Minutes Interview Is Not Going Over Well
- Trump to Host Saudi Crown Prince Next Week
- Sky suspend Jamie Carragher after spitting incident
- Met sacks conductor James Levine over 'credible evidence' of abuse
- President Trump visits troops, promising pay raise - and maybe 'space force'
- Here's Why PS4 and Xbox Players Can't Play Fortnite Together
- Macron and Modi kick-start International Solar Alliance
- Miley Cyrus sued for $300 million over hit single 'We Can't Stop'
- Amazon Alexa calling and messaging comes to Fire, Android and iOS tablets
- 2 fertility clinic failures 'beyond stunning'
- 'Black Panther,' 4 weeks in, tops 'A Wrinkle in Time'